Main Menu

getting into DCC

Started by 44 gevo, August 26, 2009, 09:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

44 gevo

Anyone  know what dcc starter setup would be the best for the money besides Bachman? I dont care much for their product I like Athearn the best .
Griffin

ssw9662

I use the Digitrax Zephyr system, which I believe runs for around $200. It's a good set to get started on DCC with.

44 gevo

Does this system come with a locomotive ? I could buy a decoder and install  it in one of my loco's but I still would need a starter system so I guess a trip to my local hobby town  store to see what they might have. I apprecitate the reply.
Griffin

Backyard

8) Hello 44Gevo, you need to make a list of all available DCC systems & the features they have & narrow it down to what you can afford....just one locomotive never satisfies the roster!

Digitrax is probably the largest & most developed.

Remember that you can control blocks without DCC but if you want locomotive features that may be the ticket.

Atlas locomotives feature sounds that can be controlled using DC...

You can always learn soldering to convert old locomotives to the new tech.
Backyard/Allen

44 gevo

THanks for the info! I still not sure what I'm going to to do ,I like dcc and will have to shop around. I went to a model railroad club open house recently that runs dcc and I was very inspired by their setup their original layout is about 14 to 16 feet wide and about 40 or so feet long and they have added more to it in another section of the basement of this building were they are located. very neet stuff!!
Griffin

thpbears

44 gevo have you went to Appalachia and looked at their layout? They have a very nice DCC layout. Also their is a guy in Church Hill Tn that has a large number of used trainf for a good price. The guys at  Appalachia go here and stock up also. If you can get to Appalachia they can give you the best info on DCC. They have helped me. Take care.

44 gevo

Hey thpbears I'm pretty sure who you are and I'm sure you are refering to Bob Lloyd. Iwas at the open house at the club that you are talking about back at the first weekend in this month when they had it open to the public I was inspired by their efforts at building a group layout.
Griffin

thpbears

Oh yeah its Bob. It is amazing at the deals he runs into and great buys. I have really built a large HO layout and saved thousands at his prices. I bought a 4 axle herpa crane for 75 cents and walthers has it for $40.00. Anyways the club in Appalachia has one of the nicest layouts I have seen in person. I am wanting to get into dcc also. It is just the way to go for the pure realness. Take care.

44 gevo

I like the dcc for the sound for sure. Bob had two or three dcc ready locos in the athearn ready to roll the last time I was down there. I have a few locos I'm thinking of selling to possibly save for the dcc if I get into it for sure. 
Griffin

44 gevo

Bob is like a cousin of mine they can go out and find all kinds of stuff at bargain prices. I can't find anything out like that.

Griffin

fireball451

As far as DCC systems.
I really like NorthCoast.
My club had NCE and switched to Digitrax, now it a complete nightmare.

Hey Dave, let me know when you are going up to Appalachia , been years since I have seen their layout.

thpbears

Let me know and we will go on a railfan trip through there one  day. I am off the weekends. I think Sat will be the day to get into Appalachia.

KCS,NS,Railfan

I have the MRC Prodigy Express and so far its the best investment i've made yet. Its great with didgtrax decoders,and its easy to program.

-Damian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk