Main Menu

started a RP-E4D

Started by Badhorse79, January 25, 2014, 09:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badhorse79

Got back to the work bench today and wanted to build something unique so I picked RP-E4D  927 ! I started with a proto2000 GP18 and a lot of styrene (my favorite?) So here's what I have so far

NSMoWandS

Nice! I like the fact you are building one with DB's. I know a couple of that series do not have them. 
DE Dan

Badhorse79

I was thinking about doing a RPU6 to mate with a 40-2 also but I started with the harder build first lol

Badhorse79

Worked on the DB section some today

NSMoWandS

Nice. You cut apart the DB section? I haven't seen any pic of these from the top... Is the DB fan different? DE Dan

Badhorse79

The fan was fine same as a GP9 but due to the oversized bachmann donor shell I had to trim a whole foot off to match the width of the proto sill hopefully I can find a fan somewhere most places are out

dschlegel

This is pretty neat, I wish I had the patience to do stuff like this!
PA Dan

Badhorse79

Thanks DanPa ! Brought the frame to work yesterday and "wiz wheeled" off the tank and belt sanded smooth

SOU91

Looks great. I really like these slugs.
William
Modeling Southern Railway 1975-1980

Badhorse79

Yeah I've always likes them also trying to figure out why its taken me 20 years to start building one lol

NSMoWandS

Nice job with the fuel tank. I might have to send you a frame to cut down for my 1600 gallon GP38-2!
DE Dan

Badhorse79

That'll be fine lol I have extra frames to practice with before ya do though lol

NSMoWandS

No need to practice... I would have you cut it down like you did on the PROTO unit. I would then build a new 1600 gallon tank. I believe SOU91 did a Southern unit with small tank... and posted a link to the workshop on how to build one. DE Dan

Badhorse79

Yeah I could do that fur ya no prob then I mail that 60 back with it

Ladderpipe

Fantastic work man, absolutely fantastic!

Badhorse79

Badhorse79

Got to the dynamic area and front nose ! Couldn't pick my nose so I had to scratch it ....! Gonna work on it some more tonight ill keep ya all posted  ;D

NSMoWandS

Quote from: Badhorse79 on February 11, 2014, 05:54:07 AM
Couldn't pick my nose so I had to scratch it ....!
Haha! Just got that! Looking good Billy Ray. DE Dan

Badhorse79

SOU91

Looks good. I wonder if one of the old Southern slugs built on tender frames would be built like this. I still haven't sent my frame off to be milled yet.
William

Badhorse79

Hmmm im not familiar with the southern slugs! Gonna have to see what I can dig up

SOU91

Quote from: Badhorse79 on February 21, 2014, 04:42:58 PM
Hmmm im not familiar with the southern slugs! Gonna have to see what I can dig up

They had a lot built out of old RS3 and Fairbanks Morse locos too. I think they had some build out of Baldwins if I remember correctly. There were a few built out of EMD's I think one GP30, one GP35 and a few FTB's.
William

Badhorse79

thpbears

NSMoWandS

Cool! Are the strobe platforms from a kit? DE Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk