Main Menu

ns f units paint

Started by 44 gevo, April 25, 2013, 09:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

44 gevo

i was wondering what color white paint to use if i model these units.
Griffin

NSMoWandS

I believe it is Imitation Aluminum. But, Badhorse would be the one I would trust for the answer. Dan

Badhorse79

I wanna say I used model masters camo gray! It blended pretty good with athearn color and engine black ! Try this http://www.southernexchange.net/OCS.shtm he did a set

JWall

This color is the subject of much debate.  Imitation Aluminum is the correct color for Southern tuxedo, Funits GP's, SD's up to the last GP50's and B30-7's. 

I use TruColor paint(TCP 80 is the number) for my stripes.  This is from the old Accupaint formulas.

I have not seen the NS's F for my self and I am not sure if NS used the Imitation Aluminum or an off white on these units.  Take a look at the IM F units as the paint is supposed to be correct, this include the FT, F3 and F7's.

James Wall
James Wall
Rural Hall, NC

Ladderpipe

James,
  Do you like the "Tru-Color" paint? The only reason I ask is because I have never used it before (strictly a Scalecoat / Floquil guy) and there was actually a question on the NS model railroading facebook page about it this morning.

Thanks,
Jason

44 gevo

I like the floquill brand it works great .
Griffin

JWall

Yes, I do like it.  It flows a nice as Floquil which is my choice of paint for most other colors.  I behaves nicely with other paints Floquil, Modelflex and Polly Scale,  I have painted over the Imitation Aluminum with all three in black or Southern green.  I generally spray a wide enough band for the stripe then mask and spray the loco color, I use Microscale 1 and 2 stripes in gold or dulux to finish.

Now,  TruColor is acetone based.  this maybe a problem for some as you cannot use lacquer thinner to clean your airbrush, it will gum up the paint.  Use only acetone to thin and clean, I rarely have to thin this paint.  Their color selection is awesome with some never made colors by Floquil.  Here is a pic of a recent loco with the TruColor painted stripe.

James Wall
James Wall
Rural Hall, NC

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk