stack train with an added car

Started by steveiez, February 28, 2013, 08:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveiez

Today coming thru Glenfield was the usual boring double stacker. The strange thing{I have never seen this before} was a UP reefer car behind the two GE's. Is this common?
Steve

florida581

It's not uncommon.  CSX runs a few Tropicana reefers on the front on its Cincinnati/Jacksonville intermodals.  NS will put a cut of autoracks with its intermodals as well.  Or perhaps that one particular car you saw on that intermodal was a bad order, was repaired, and this train picked it up.
Andrew

NSMoWandS

CSX has also changed the Q740/Q741 juice trains from FL to NJ/NY to Q140/141 and it is usually a daily occurrence to have both well cars and refrigerator cars. Dan

steveiez

Thanks, I figured it might be a very high priority reefer that needed too get there.
Steve

E.M. Bell

I have seen an odd car mixed in with a solid stack or intermodal train before, but its a rare thing up this way. Under NS rules, that 1 box car (or what ever it might be) will cause a 60mph train to be come a 50mph train, and that is not getting it where it needs to go (or the intermodal for that matter) any faster.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

T. Mahan

Wasn't there an intermodal that usually ran on the CNO&TP with one of those huge auto parts boxcars on the head end?  I recall seeing that a few times at Perryville St. at Danville.
T.J. Mahan
Green Cove Springs, FL
www.facebook.com/tjm6515

E.M. Bell

Yes, 236 I think it was TJ.  23G also used to leave Louisville every day with a sizable cut of FORD frames on the bottom that came off the PAL in Etown. I am not sure what happened to that traffic, but its been gone now for a couple of years.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Matt L

I've seen NS added a little bit of mixed freight to the head end of 287, which is an auto rack train originating in Buffalo. I'm guessing they'll added other cars if there's a need to expedite them.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Ptrainman

EM, there used to be a Ford plant at Petersburg, VA that is now closed so I would say those frames where coming out here.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk