Athearn ES44AC... maybe soon

Started by Badhorse79, June 22, 2012, 10:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badhorse79

I read on Athearns Facebook Page and they mentioned thier close to completing the ES44ACs finally,  hopefully this will enable them to to all 20 heritage locos for NS sometime next century

JWall

Hopefully they will do the correct phase for Norfolk Southern.  I would be interested in several of them then.  At least one HH paint and probably the Interstate and Original Norfolk Southern, which by the way was in Winston Salem this week on a Corn Product grain train.

J. Wall
Rural Hall, NC
James Wall
Rural Hall, NC

thpbears

All twenty Heritage units. Sounds nice. Now let me google what a kidney is selling for on the open market. ;D

Badhorse79

$100,000.00 I checked but the risk of infection would kill ya before you gotbto enjoy the locos 

NSTopHat

Athearn will have to do some major tooling to modify the existing Tower 55 dies to do a correct NS ES44AC. They will also have to change some of the parts in order to get the SD70ACe's correct as well.

Russ

Badhorse79

The GE will be a lot harder I think cause the ACes are close to the BNSF ones with a few newer parts and the panels on the big box behind the conductor ( not sure the tech name for it ) but hopefully by next year I can look at one in my hands and see what is different

NSTopHat

GE has essentially standardized their locomotive design. The only significant external differences on the NS units, from those of UP and BNSF is the headlight location and the large rear anti climber and rear ditch lights and the DB count. Athearn would be well served to do a post 2010 version in the Genesis line, so they can do the versions, and include a radial truck, allowing them to do CP and CSX.

NSMoWandS

The big box behind the cab houses the banks of inverters for AC traction. I just call it the inverter box.

NSTopHat

Quote from: Badhorse79 on June 23, 2012, 08:51:46 AM
The GE will be a lot harder I think cause the ACes are close to the BNSF ones with a few newer parts and the panels on the big box behind the conductor ( not sure the tech name for it ) but hopefully by next year I can look at one in my hands and see what is different

I have three of the undec Athearn BNSF Iso Cab versions to do some low 1000's. There is a new grill arrangement on the aft portion of the AC inverter box as well as a lube box (IIRC) just above the rear end of the fuel tank. The other hurdle is the PTC antenna box and whip platforms on the cab roof, which are not yet available.

Badhorse79

I just made mine ... I still need to install the Sinclair antennas

thpbears

NSTopHat

Badhorse79

Badhorse79

ARandall70

Russ has it right, Athearn has the early production units and will have major work to do before they can even make an NS early unit(new cab, T55 never released the high headlight version), let alone NS heritage units. Athearn said it best, the T55 was not designed in modular fashion like their SD70ACe, so redesigning the shell will be a long process if they decide to go that route.

I just want the ACe's in timely fashion now, IM already has my business on the 40DC's and my preorders on the ES44AC's.

Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70

Badhorse79

chipallen16

Those things are gorgeous! I've got my 7527 weathered up, and all I need is a bell.

-Chip  :)

Badhorse79

Lost your bell too huh... I didn't even notice until a few days ago?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk