Main Menu

Station help

Started by Badhorse79, March 01, 2012, 10:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badhorse79

Ok im looking to place a station in this area as to the layout drawing!  Well its a lil elevated ... I planned on putting steps up to the station and out a parking lot the the left and a platform to the right!  My questions are should I build a wall off the back and sides so the lil people don't fall off ( I was going to build a 4' box style wall and place bushes in the middle of the wall ) and lastly should I fence off the stubbed tracks so the presier folks don't get plowed
well thanks for looking and any other ideas or tips are greatly appreciated

NSMoWandS

Okay... where to start... Yes put a fence up... it could go onty to the end of the track, that way us MoW people can access the track or property... or build a gate. In your photo to the left... there is a little lower area... that would be a great parking lot... then steps up to the station... I would also include a fence, wall, bushes for that little drop... That way the open area can be a small park, open lot for MoW crap... or... A nice place for a red N&W caboose to serve as your towns welcome/info center. Across the tracks from where my station will be is a B&O safety caboose that will be my towns(WILSON) info/welcome center. There will also be a small park near it for all the railfans to come and watch the endless parade of coal trains... and the nightly local! Hmm... maybe I should change that! Other than that, that box out you are talking about... is that just to have something at the edge? I usually design the area... and if the layout ends... it just ends... edge of the world as WE see it... if it is a road... its the road... building, grass etc etc... hopes this helps.

NSMoWandS

Just some shots of what I was talking about...

NSMoWandS

Badhorse79

The caboose is a great idea!  That is a slick lil town!  Thanks MoW

NSMoWandS

Thanks Badhorse. Hope it gives you some ideas... My station is going next to the concrete platform near the water tower. Forgot to write that earlier.

thpbears

First MOW your layout is looking very nice like Badhorses engines. That road is the bomb. I saw a club layout today that fits a idea. Put a park and fence up badhorse and put some railfans on the side taking pics. The club I saw today had a caboose and hot dog stand near the track and they used a N-scale engine and cars with the roofs cut off. They had HO-scale people riding on the n-scale cars kind of like a amusement ride. This has me thinking.

NSMoWandS

Thanks Bears. That N scale is pretty cool. Reminds me of the small train ride at the C&O museum in Clifton Forge, VA. It just does a loop around the property... but still cool.

Badhorse79

Think this caboose will do

NSMoWandS

Looks good... at first I thought it was a NS caboose... and thought... that should be used on a shoving move... but upon closer inspection... noticed it was Southern... Would look great on a 39ft section by itself... I am currently scratch building some wooden steps for each end of the B&O caboose I am using. If I am happy with the way they turn out... and you like them too Badhorse... I will make a couple of sets... that way you can have a set for your caboose(info center/vistor center).

lwjabo

Soon after the merger with N&W we began to see EOT's and that spelled the end of the caboose. As far as I know they never gave a caboose the NS logo. They were Sou or N&W. The Southern cabooses were just junk and you could see around the doors. So they were never popular in cold weather. The Conductors on the N&W and every other rail line that ever had a Southern Caboose they were hated. They were rough to ride with poor heat and no insulation. I remember seeing notes left by crews on the Southern cabs. Such as get this piece of junk off the MoPac. When they started retiring the caboose they were in most cases sold to someone or given to a town that wanted to remember them. The last yard caboose I remember was in Chattanooga. I never saw one in Atlanta.

Badhorse79

Ilk take a set of steps just let me know donation fee lol!  I think there are a few NS "booses" they use them quite a plenty on the mine runs on the pokey!  But let me just say don't hod me to that lol they !

NSMoWandS

Up here in the Northeast... NS still uses cabin cars(PRR Term for cabooses) from conrail... a couple have been painted red and white with the horsehead logo... and one is primer gray with cr report markings. I believe a red one is assigned to Croxton Yard. The grey one is from abrams car shop in king of prussia, PA. And Badhorse... no donation fee needed... they will be made out of scrap styrene and about one penny's worth of brown paint! haha!

MP15NUT

Quote from: NSMoWandS on March 14, 2012, 06:51:59 PM
Up here in the Northeast... NS still uses cabin cars(PRR Term for cabooses) from conrail... a couple have been painted red and white with the horsehead logo... and one is primer gray with cr report markings. I believe a red one is assigned to Croxton Yard. The grey one is from abrams car shop in king of prussia, PA. And Badhorse... no donation fee needed... they will be made out of scrap styrene and about one penny's worth of brown paint! haha!

Two grey ones are at Abrams Yard (My home yard) i am at MP 17, the yard is MP 19 or 19.5 on the Harrisburg line. 
MP15NUT
Modeling the NS Delmarva Secondary as the Delmarva Central

delcrr.webs.com
DELC is now on facebook!
Just search Delmarva Central!

NSMoWandS

Must have built another one... down here on the Delmarva Sec... it is still old Conrail Cabin Cars... and also the Dover(NJ not DE) Drill HO-2 also has a red NS caboose assigned to it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk