Train on fire

Started by steveiez, February 12, 2011, 11:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveiez

In Wilmerding Pa, which is east of Pittsburgh an NS engine caught fire. They put it out quickly however the line was tied up.

It looked like a GE loco that was on fire.

Does this surprise anyone?
Steve

Ptrainman

Not really, considering the track record of the older GE locos. Wonder if it was a newer locomotive?
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

steveiez

From the picture on the news it looked to be a GE wide cab. I have seen them flame several times here in town.
Steve

swinstandley

The March issue of "TRAINS" has an article on page 16 about turbochargers going bad and causing fires.  Interesting statement in column 3, "EMDs, some mechanical engineers say, tend to have this problem more often the General Electric diesels."  The photo on the page shows an AC4400CW spitting flames.

Maybe we think GEs have more fires since there are more GEs on the Norfolk Southern, but the ratio of fires to number of units is lower for GEs.

Stew,

steveiez

Update, it was an oil line that loosened up, spilling oil on the floor causing the fire.
Steve

NSMoWandS

What are the last two letters in "garbage" ?   "G...E..."

Ptrainman

Well I guess something like that could happen to any engine.
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

E.M. Bell

Quote from: NSMoWandS on February 13, 2011, 03:31:15 PM
What are the last two letters in "garbage" ?   "G...E..."

If we had a "like" button, it would have been pressed!   ;D
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

jjohns5182

@swinstandley  if that is the case how come I see more scorched GEs on every railroad than I see EMDS? I haven't really seen a burnt EMD on the move anywhere in fact. Only in pictures and only when ether a wreck, faulty wiring, or something else went horribly wrong.

steveiez

Maybe fame-outs are one of GE''s better ideas? I know they sure like to butter up to the US government...well China too.
Steve

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk