Abandoned Rathole Tunnels

Started by J-Guy, October 23, 2005, 12:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butch

Emmett, yes, it covers Cincinnati to Chattanooga.  What do you have in mind?
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

E.M. Bell

A copy of that if possible :)

I just keep thinking that between you and the other folks that have posted pics and material in this thread, there is enough to do "something" to put together a good documentation of some of this history, in one place. This stuff has fascinated me to no end (and must be the same for others..this is one of the longest running, most replied to threads on the board)

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

butch

Check your email-it's a 5meg+ file
Butch Adkins

nsgelocos

Im curious to what DB, CW, EG, KD, and SJ tower stand for...  ???
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

E.M. Bell

Some of the tower names make sense, some do not. 

EG tower..."Emory Gap"

SJ Tower  "Southern Junction"  When the CNO&TP was really the CNO&TP..the SOUTHERN line from St.Louis and Louisville connected at SJ Tower (Southbound) and Burgin (BR tower) Northbound, making a HUGE wye. The Harrodsburg to Burgin section was torn out in the early 1900's and the present day configuration at SJ tower came to be.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

The Olivers

Heres an attempt at coordinates for Tennessee rat holes. Any help filling in holes or corrections would be appropriated. Thanks

The Olivers

Butch I would love a copy of the map also if you don't mind. Thanks

butch

OK, here is a smaller version of it.  It's lacks clarity, but you can read it.
Butch Adkins

Rnhatch

Oliver's list of coordinates spurred me into action.  I plugged the coordinates into a Google Map.  I attached the remaining pictures from this thread into the place markers.  The Kentucky tunnels aren't on the map yet - but I have allowed anyone to contribute.   Edit the map to add more place markers, or drag the ones that are there to the correct coordinates.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=200261820091388587171.00049fdc494d12f0ac1ec&ll=36.542743,-84.559021&spn=1.416646,2.208252&t=h&z=9

How's that for office desk railfanning?

The Olivers

Rnhatch all looks good...glad i could be of some use. However the pic u have on 23 acually belongs on 24 i believe. It has 24 on the marker above it. As soon as i can get topos of Kentucky I will post more.

E.M. Bell

desk railfanning indeed...now to just get KY on there.

That is a fine recourse to say the least. I cant count how many hundreds of times I have been all down through there, and never fully understood how some of the reroutes where done. Fine job and a good start.

Butch may be away from the board a few days, but I am sure he will love this when he gets a chance to see it!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

nsgelocos

I was considering, if I ever get an HD camera and add professional audio from my recorder simaltaniously, making a Pentrex-like Rathole documentary with all 27 tunnels and other info that all the other Rathole films I have seen don't mention or show. As all 27 tunnels have fascinated me.
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

E.M. Bell

my, how things can change, in a short time. A month ago, Carmon and myself where driving on old US 27 (pics in this thread a ways back) and now, you would have to go swimming. The massive amounts of rain we have got in Central KY seem to have filled the lake back up a tad.

This was taken 04/30/11, standing on the hill above the boat dock, looking South where old Burnside used to be. I wonder where that rubber ducky I shot down there is now :)

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

railfan1967

Hey all! Don't know if you're aware of it but a horrible head on collision occurred in tunnel #5 in 1890. Here's a link to a newspaper article that appeared in all places...New Jersey! http://www.gendisasters.com/data1/ky/trains/sloansvalley-trainwreckoct1890.htm

Been to the tunnel a few times but the south portal (which is most accessable) is under water.

butch

If  you go in the winter time, sometimes its frozen solid and you can explore.
Butch Adkins

Gene

Hi Guys,
I'm new to the forum and found this topic extremely interesting. I have family in the Somerset area and was down there this past fall. I've not had a chance to get to any of the tunnels yet. A quick question, are tunnels 3 & 4 still accesseble since the 27/90 interchange has been redone? I'd really like to check these out on my next trip. Also, some of the posted pictures I can't see and ould really like to. Is there any way to get to those? Thanks, Geno. ;D

butch

Welcome.  To answer your T3-4 question, yes- see http://www.jreb.org/ns/index.php?topic=10643.0 as I was there yesterday.  Course I would suggest being careful this time of year.  And if you go all the way to the lake, the trees are blocking most of the view of the current RR bridge. 

As for the "lost" pix, there have been some issues over the years and some of the older stuff didn't survive.  I guess it's time for me to dig out my stuff and repost the Rathole archive.
Butch Adkins

E.M. Bell

Gene, welcome to the forum! Its odd in a way that on a "Modern" NS board, this subject has been the most popular and long lived subject on the board....but thats OK with me!  Feel free to badger Butch into re-posting some of his stuff that is missing, I bet he has a few gems we would like to see again..or havnt seen at all.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Gene

Thanks for the welcome guys, It is appreciated. I love this kind of stuff. My father is from Barbourville and my Father-in-law from Whitley City. I love the area and am especially fascinated with the tunnels. I'd love to see any old and new pics. My wife and I did follow the Kathy Crockett trail north toward tunnel 5 but we couldn't wade our way through the marshy area to get to the portal which I was hoping to do. Our next trip down will probably be 4th of July weekend and may not be a good time to tunnel hunt?? Or would it? You guys know best, lol. My wife hates snakes. Again, thanks. ;D

butch

OK, I'm going to use a lot of winter pix because it's easier to see when the foliage is down.

Rathole Tunnels Part I:

T1 is between Wilmore and High Bridge, on private land, has severe roof fall, junked up on the south end, and not really considered part of the Rathole, but I'm including it anyway.

T2 at Kings Mountain is the northernmost of the Rathole tunnels and at 4,652 feet, it was the longest.  The northern portal is grown up and always full of water.

The T2 southern portal is just west of the cut as viewed from the highway bridge and the north portal is the white dot inside the tunnel in this trackside view.

Butch Adkins

butch

Rathole Tunnels Part II:

Down the road at Burnside, just past Grove is the northern portal of T3.

As short hike through the old tunnel brings you out the southern portal.

Vehicles have to turn around here, but a path follows the CNO&TP around the lake to the northern portal of T4.

The hike through T4 is a bit rougher and wetter-did I mention you should bring flashlights?  The southern portal is less than 100 ft from the edge of Lake Cumberland.

Here are a couple of trains crossing the current bridge as viewed from the site of the original bridge.

And here is the view of the southern T4 portal from across the lake.

Butch Adkins

butch

Rathole Tunnels Part III:

T5 is at the head of Sloans Valley, the northern portal is on a farm.

The southern portal of T5 five is visible from the Cathy Crockett walking trail, but it knee-deep muck and always swampy unless it's frozen over.

189 ft. Tunnel 6 was daylighted in 1901, but the cut can still be hiked from the Alpine access.

The T7 northern portal is a short hike on the old grade from the couple hundred hike up from Gut Lick Creek.  Note the craftmanship of the stone work and the No 7 and the 1892 date on the face.

The southern portal of T7 is 1,160 ft. away.

Butch Adkins

Gene

Awesome pics, thanks for taking the time to post them Butch. I know the northen portal of T11 was buried during the highway construction. How hard is it to get to the soutern portal? My apologies for so many questions, I just want to gather all the knowledge and info I can before I go back down. Again, thank you, sincerely, Geno.

nsgelocos

As I understand, the lower half of tunnel 5 is brick lined while the rest is solid rock.

Anyone want to rent an industrial strength water pump? :)
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

lwjabo

I'm surprised with so many tunnels no one has took them over for mushroom farming. There was talk of doing that to the old Braswell tunnel when Southern moved the main line. Most of these tunnels are longer than the Braswell tunnel which I guess was around a thousand feet long. The Seaboard tunnel not far away is part of the Silver Comet trail. the SCL tunnel is a bit shorter than the old Southern. Should I have called the Southern Tunnel the ETV&G instead?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk