Main Menu

Weathering Tips ?

Started by Badhorse79, April 28, 2010, 05:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badhorse79

Hi all I just finished a few engines and am wanting to weather them ....However I've haven't weathered model engines before aside from letting them collect dust.
I was wondering on how to get the dusty rust color all( most ) NS engines have? I dusted an older unit with an air brush using Polly S  concrete Looks alright also I used chalk and oil pastels ..... ain't lookin too hot .... Any suggestions, or advice?
Thanks for any help you can offer up.

Backyard

8) First. never paint unless the conditions are 68°-82°.

The humidity needs to be less than...or at 40%.

True, your not painting for a living, but the results are what your going to live with...

Add styling, apply Gloss-coat...no locomotive ever left the plant dull-coated...

Then, weather with rail-grime, hard travel though snow or whatever the class locomotive does...

You can however, clean a locomotive in all stages of the final application using either dish-washing liquid to dissolve fingerprints or alcohol, to do your final cleaning, but make sure your decal-apps, can handle this...

But the finished product is so the determining factor...
Backyard/Allen

Badhorse79

Thanks Ill try this when I pick up some gloss coat and cross my fingers
thanks again

thpbears

You can also go to www.youtube.com/monsterrailroad and this guy shows you how to weather. I just purchased a DVD for $15 from him and have weathered two box cars and a Top Gon and they look so real I can't wait to show them off. He has several dozen videos free on You Tube from weathering a engine to ballasting track. He is good. I know he has made me a better weathering person. Hope this helps

Badhorse79

I just got a copy of Pelle Soeborgs Done In A Day book
and WOW this guy is awsome along with the fellow from YouTube.... it's time to get dirty lol 

NSMoWandS

I have found that weathering locos and cars is subjective. There is no wrong way or right way. Each cars travels to different regions... so different weathering. Do what YOU like and you can't go wrong!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk