The biggest NS model I have ever seen

Started by Matt L, December 21, 2014, 07:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I attended the RIT Tiger Tracks Trains Show last weekend. The Rochester G Scale Model Club was there. One of their younger members brought his NS locomotive to the event. This model was huuuge!

To see the rest of the train and other models at the show, please visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95389145@N04/sets/72157649807235146/

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Saturday 12/13/2014 in Henrietta, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Trainman24210

They is or maybe was, a firm in Salem, Virginia that made units big enough to ride on.  On of their freight car trucks weighs 12 pounds if I recall correctly.

Sid

Bill Richardson

I bet that model cost plenty.  I went into a small hobby shop here recently.  Found a Bachman HO scale engine with NS markings and black paint, priced at $50.  I think it is a GP38 High Hood.  Something like that, with HH.  $50, for an HO scale engine!   Yes, I have looked at lists online and seen prices at $100 or more.  Those with sound at way more.   In 2007 I tried to get $25 for an old Tyco GP-20 engine on Ebay.  That engine was bought in 1964 or '65.  I wound up selling it for only $15 I think.  I have read comments saying that Tyco is cheap stuff, but I thought they were pretty good.  That particular engine was a good one.  Anyway, prices sure have escalated.  If I had the space, I couldn't afford the trains.  A simple rail car in that hobby shop is priced at $8 or more.  I looked at prices on several items.  All costly.  A person needs a good income to get into railroad modeling, in HO scale even.

NSTopHat

Quote from: Bill Richardson on December 22, 2014, 11:23:09 AM
    I bet that model cost plenty. 

I have a pair of them for the garden railway that is planned for the future house. They cost ~$350 ea., not too bad when you price trains by the pound....

Russ

Matt L

Quote from: Trainman24210 on December 21, 2014, 11:24:21 PM
They is or maybe was, a firm in Salem, Virginia that made units big enough to ride on.  On of their freight car trucks weighs 12 pounds if I recall correctly.

Sid

Wow! I didn't know there were 1/4 scale NS units!
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

NS O SCALER

Outdoor riding railroads are surprising coomon, if you know where to find them.   The equipment can be quite simple, or very detailed.  There is one company that makes some very nice modern cars.   Now mind you, these may sell for for close to a cheap used car in cost, so these are not for the faint of heart.   Locomotives can be a few thousand dollars or more in price!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk