T.T.I. Rail To River, Old GE's hauling coal in Kentucky

Started by E.M. Bell, September 15, 2015, 05:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Trans-Kentucky Transportation ( TTI) is One of Kentucky's famed short line / regional railroads that can be elusive to catch, but well worth the effort when you do.  Founded in 1979, T T I operates the former L&N branch line from Paris to Maysville,Ky that has been transformed from a light weight, weed choked 3 day a week branch to a well maintained, heavy rail bridge-line.   The sole purpose of the line since 1979 has been to take loaded coal trains from the CSX in Paris and forward them North to the Ohio River at Maysville to be trans-loaded onto barges for power plants up and down the Ohio River.

Like many other railroads, TTI has seen fortunes wane in recent years as the coal market have gone soft, and as a result they had only been operating a few times a month (or less) as the once seemingly endless traffic of Eastern Kentucky Black Diamonds all but dried up.  Things seem to have turned around this year, and the RR has been moving a lot more coal to the river PLUS a new commodity....limestone used as scrubber stone for power plants.  The stone trains are loading a quarry near Mount Vernon, KY on the CSX LB branch and so far they have averaged at least One train per week.  All of this new traffic means that TTI is back to running trains 3 or 4 days a week now (or more...they expected to run every day this week!).

Besides great scenery, the TTI has always been known for the fleet of old GE power they operate. Over the years, several different models of U and b boats have been used, and today they roster several " last of a kind" units still in service,including a former CB&Q U28B (with another out of service as a parts source).  Years ago, I used to visit Paris at least once a month to shoot, but with the downturn in traffic and the rarity of catching anything running, it had probably been 10 or 12 years since I had been over there (and it less than a hours drive from home) .  That all changed last week as I joined a group of friends for a Two day "bender" of TTI action , during which we shot a coal train, a limestone train, and managed to shoot every GE currently on the roster.  It was great to see them busy again, and to witness some professional and efficient railroading (those guys don't mess around...they get it done!).

Here are a few teasers, and please take a minute to check out the whole set from those Two days (45 pics in all) at this link >>>>>>  http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/tti15

My first TTI shot in close to 10 years......A Northbound TTI coal train breaks through the morning fog with former SBD / CSX B36-7 "Tote Bote" leading 4 more GE's near Millersburg, Kentucky 09/08/15

A loaded coal train looks mighty fine behind an (almost) matching set of TTI power as it heads North through Carlisle Tuesday morning, TTI has had a LOT of paint schemes over the years, and what you see here are the Two latest. I think the Blue and White look the best (and seems to be most appropriate so close to the UK Wildcats in Lexington). TTI is enjoying an increase in traffic right now, with trains running several times a week instead of a few times a month. Carlisle, KY 09/08/15

The sound of 5 GE FDL prime movers in #8 throttle echos off the hillsides as a Northbound TTI coal train struggles up the steep grade out of the Licking River Valley on Tuesday morning, with B36-7 # 5815 leading the way. That old house has probably seen this same fight a thousand times during the time it has clung there to the side of the hill. Pleasant Valley, Kentucky 09/08/15

JREB members Larry Smoak and Alex Moss shoot the TTI along the river in downtown Maysville, KY.  That reflection made the shot!

TTI 260, a rare surviving U28B (former CB&Q 114) works the coal dumper at Maysville

TTI 5817 (former SBD 5817 B36-7) and TTI 257 U28B (former CB&Q 108) on the deadline at Paris

"The Rest Of The Story" The TTI slogan has always been "Rail to River" meaning the coal they haul by train is trans-loaded to barges for the final leg of the trip up and down the Ohio river. Wednesday while waiting for the TTI to arrive in Maysville, we stood along the banks of the river and watched as a string of loaded barges (loaded with coal the train had brought the day before) passed another string of empty barges headed for the trans-load facility, which can be seen on the right bank under the stacks of the power plant....in Two days time we captured images that tell the whole story. Maysville, KY 09/09/15
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Trainman24210

I love that shot with the old house.  So glad to see a U-28 still chugging. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk