Labor Day Along The Lurgan Branch

Started by VirginiaSouthern, September 04, 2014, 12:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VirginiaSouthern

Good Morning to my fellow NS fans. It has been forever since I've posted here, due in part to being exiled in CSX country that is central Maryland.

This past Monday, I paid a visit to the Lurgan Branch in south central PA for the first time. I didn't catch a ton of action, but what I did catch made the trip worth it.

I spent the first part of the trip scouting out the tracks a bit and seeing where things were at. I had almost caught 37Q heading westbound with two CN units in the lead, but ran into traffic and couldn't get ahead of it. I ended up in Shippensburg after a bit of driving around where I found a pair of geeps at rest, one high-nose and one low-nose.

Norfolk Southern 5605 by T-3 Photography, on Flickr

Norfolk Southern 5050 by T-3 Photography, on Flickr

After photographing this pair, and not hearing anything on my scanner, I decided to head back south again with the intent of being closer to home should I decide to give up for the day. I ended up hanging out in Greencastle for a little while. After about 30 minutes of hanging out, I heard the scanner start to make a little noise. I drove a few blocks south until I was near the old train station, built in 1909 just in time to catch 781 heading eastbound with the Reading heritage unit on point.

Norfolk Southern 781 by T-3 Photography, on Flickr

A little further north in Greencastle...

Norfolk Southern 1067 by T-3 Photography, on Flickr

Just past this spot, 781 came to a halt to allow westbound manifest 11R to pass. I drove a little north to Marion to catch both trains there. First came 11R.

Norfolk Southern 11R by T-3 Photography, on Flickr

Then came 781 heading eastbound once again.

Thank you for looking!
Tommy Warshaw
Click here to see my photos on Flickr

dschlegel

Great set of photos! I've only fanned the Lurgan once but enjoyed the heck out of it. I ended up at the Shippensburg airport to catch the 1067 in fact!
Thanks for sharing!
PA Dan

VirginiaSouthern

Thanks, Dan! I definitely plan on visiting it again in the future.
Tommy Warshaw
Click here to see my photos on Flickr

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk