Norfolk Southern GP60 at Burnside

Started by Bill Richardson, August 19, 2014, 03:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Richardson

Late this morning I went to Burnside and Tateville, and made the rounds.  Nothing there.  I went back to Burnside and waited.  I asked somebody in the office about what was coming, and he said a couple were coming from both directions.  I waited.  After a while, one came in from the south and stopped.  That train has four engines, and the fourth is a GP60.  That was a big surprise.  The third is an SD60E.  That train pulled out at around 12:30 pm, heading north.  There is a lot of train stoppage going on north of Somerset.  I saw some track work or some kind of work going on in the Science Hill area, and saw a track checking piece of equipment out on a track in that area.  The Science Hill crossing was blocked to road traffic; work going on there.

NS-7128  GP60

NS-7128  GP60      NS-6953   SD60E

After a while, another train came in from the south and stopped for a crew change.  This one is led by an SD70.  I made several photos then left.  When I got near Science Hill, I saw a train parked, and switched to the road alongside the tracks.  That train looked like the one led by the SD70.  I wasn't sure, but believe it was.  Yesterday, near Waynesburg and Eubank, trains heading north were parking for a while--not all together.  I guess that was on account of track work north of here.

NS-2565   SD70

----------------------------------------------------
Tuesday night:

I just looked at a post by another member, Southern6482, and he said the SD60E model is "ultra rare" for the CNO&TP.  I looked that up and found that there are 74 in service.  I looked up the GP60, and found a number of 48.  I don't know where NS usually runs these model engines, but I don't recall seeing either in my short time of train watching, on the CNO&TP. I don't get to the tracks a whole lot.   I'm glad I got photos of two rare engines today.  A GP anything has to be rare.  An SD60 is rare, to me.  Anyway, here is a full photo of the SD60E.

NS-6953     SD60E

leroy

Lookin good... Looks like the "old days" with the GP60 and the SD70...
Thanks for takin the time to post these great pictures...

leroy
leroy

dschlegel

Nice catches! The GP60's have been a favorite of mine since NS took over CR and they were running their hot intermodals with 4 or 5 of them whining away at track speed!
PA Dan

Ed Fury

GP 60 #7139 was the power in Buechel for like maybe a year, or longer. They used it to switch the intermodal yard. Spent a few nights driving a "utility vehicle" along side it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk