Lightning stripes, a warbonnet and running through the hills

Started by Matt L, June 16, 2014, 07:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I kicked off the first weekend of the month with another fun adventure trackside. Among other things, I chased Finger Lakes Railway local HW2. Most of FGLK's loco fleet wears a heritage scheme based on 3 of its predecessors: NYC, LV and Conrail. In this case, B23-7 was leading the train:

This was my first time shooting at Fir Tree Point Road:

A red flag sufficed nicely as a FRED:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 6/6/2014 in Rock Stream, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The afternoon also included a visit to CP Corning. A beautiful warbonnet led NS intermodal 23K westward on the Southern Tier Mainline:

After 23K cleared, eastbound NS mixed freight 13T headed out:

Notice the new "vader" signal at left:

The tail end of 13T crosses over from the runner to the Tier itself:

All photos in this post were tkaen by me Friday 6/6/2014 in Corning, NY.  

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The day ended with a chase of NS's Corning-Geneva turn H06. Because this local departs late in the day, it is not often photographed. i am trying to change that! The train pulled onto the Corning Secondary around 7:30 PM EDT:

H06 passes through Baker Street Yard:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 6/6/2014 in Corning, NY.

Matt L

For a complete look at the chase of H06 from Corning to Himrod, please visit my slide show:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2014/June%202014/0606%20NS%20H06

All photos in the link were taken by me Friday 6/6/2014 in central New York. Even with the 15+ hour days of June, I ran out of sunlight before the train got to Geneva. Therefore, the chase ends with twilight shots at one of my favorite crossings. Enjoy!

dschlegel

Looks like a great day! The shot of H06 coming across the bridge is neat.
PA Dan

Matt L

Thanks! I was pretty amped up when I heard H06 coming- it was actually hard to hold the camera steady for the bridge shot. This really is one of my favorite chases.

For those who are curious about my adventures with the Finger Lakes Railway and their lightning striped B23-7, please check out this slide show:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2014/June%202014/0606%20FGLK%20HW2

All photos in the link were taken by me Friday 6/6/2014 in central New York.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk