Getting on and off moving equpiment is allowed again

Started by E.M. Bell, April 28, 2014, 08:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

I had heard for awhile that NS was thinking about changing or modifying a few rules, and One of those was the restriction about getting on and off moving equipment.  That has been taboo for several years now, but for what ever reason, its once again allowed. 

There are still lots of restrictions, but hey, thats a little progress in reversing what has become a rulebook RR (in my opinion)... I used to be pretty good at getting on and off, and it is a time saver. 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Railroad80

They are going to allow mounting and dismounting moving equipment 2-3 mph only after the employee has been certified to do so. and only in yards on the Ga. div.
Randy

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

This blows my mind with NS, I love it but I figured the next step would be shutting the engine down and tying the handbrake before dismounting the way they usually go with rules. A little regression might be nice!
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

lwjabo

I will check with Tony. I haven't heard anyone talk about it. In other words I will believe it when I see it.

Ponce de Leon

The current rules were more likely put in place to minimize liability than out of safety concerns to the employees.

For the brief time I worked for the Southern in the early '70s, I can recall several of us being taken to the engine terminal at Ludlow while a hostler ran a couple of GP9s back and forth so we could practice our "technique." It was expected of you back then (at a reasonable speed, of course). I still know how to do it, too.

From my perspective, this is a positive change. Railroaders from 50 years ago or more would think the "three step" process is completely and totally nuts! And---I don't think they would be too fond of wearing those ugly FRA-required safety vests (or hearing protection...or just about everything else that's been added in recent years). Some of the current safety rules (and attire) make sense, but others are over-kill. It's as if the carrier assumes operating employees have no sense of judgement at all.
Ron Flanary

lwjabo

Well the hearing protection got there a bit late for me. I'm almost deaf. Hearing aids in both ears. I expected NS to pull me from service but that never happened for hearing. Looks like a good chance they will allow some very limited getting up and down moving. Limited to yards. Will not be allowed on the main or sidings. All will have to be qualified. The ones with no experience will have to go to school at McDonough. So that some 95%. Should keep the extra board turning. Those who have got up and down in the past will have to show they can to local officers before getting permission? From what I have been told this looks more like a way to run some off. I hear it rather nasty in Atlanta and the Georgia Division. One with over 30 years says he has never see it this bad? Not getting suspended was a way of life in the old days. Like some said. I would have been cut off for over two years if they had not disciplined like Southern did. Back then it was just 15 or 30 days. You had to really screw up to get more than that. Now they go for blood. If I can believe what I'm told they are having hearings on things like using your phone while sitting still in a siding. Even tho that has been approved. I sure am glad I'm retired. Will be 9 years come December.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk