Two Days of Virginian 1069 on the NS Louisville District

Started by E.M. Bell, September 05, 2013, 06:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Labor Day weekend here in Central Ky brought us a pair of Heritage units, and kept me busy running.  Friday and Saturday we had the Erie 1068 on 22A and 23G (i shared those pics a few days ago) , and then on Sunday 09/01 the Virginian 1069 was the leader on train 22a into Louisville, and then on 23G Tuesday afternoon..

The 1069 and 22A found its way into Danville Ky Sunday morning around 0800, and due to a mess of Eastbound trains on the Louisville District, would not head West until 1100. A Westbound that time of day is close to imposable to shoot except in a couple of places, but thanks to a little more delay here and there, by the time they got past Waddy the sun was starting to get around enough for it to be worthwhile. I had hoped the morning would be cloudy like the forecast said, but of course we had nothing but sun. The clouds would have helped the back light problem somewhat but it didn't work out that way AND by the time the train got far enough West to take advantage of the sun, it clouded up...yep.

22a's power almost always turns back East on the next days 23G out of Louisville, but for some reason this time it didn't. The 1069 spent Labor day in Louisville, and somehow got turned while there meaning  It would lead Tuesdays 23G back to Norfolk, instead of being the DPU.  Due to several delays, 23G didn't get to Danvillem Ky  until almost dark, and allowed me to get home from work and take full advantage of the low evening light to bag it at "The Fence" in Vanarsdale, Ky.  

Check the link for the results...I don't reckon I did to bad for a lazy weekend!   >>>  http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/nsheritage_2013_eb

Sunday 09/01 Virginian 1069 leads train 22A over the old US 127 bridge just East Of Lawrenceburg, KY

BY the time 22A got to Waddy,Ky the light had started to turn some. It was still not perfect, but better than we had all morning. Here is 22a coming around Turtle Tree Curve about midway between the switches at Waddy, and then again at the West end. They would pause briefly here to meet 223.

I went a little out of the box (and out the side of a building)  at Shelbyville, trying to avoid the shot everyone else was getting...

After meeting 285 at Joyes, our train got back on the move again just in time for the clouds to roll back in. Here is 22A rolling through the horse farms near Clarks Station, KY

The last shot of the day was at the East end of Tucker Siding. This is about as close to Louisville as I will voluntarily go :)

Tuesday 09/03, the 1069 was the leader on 23G, and thanks to some unfortunate delay, I was able to get home after work and grab a shot of them in the perfect evening light at Vanarsdale, Ky, just down the road from home.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk