Following the (Wabash) flag in a monsoon on the CNO&TP

Started by E.M. Bell, July 07, 2013, 06:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Thanks to a timely heads up here on Jreb Friday 07/05/13  (Thanks again Mike!) I was able to get a few errands done, and head South for a few shots of the Wabash 1070 leading train 142 North.

We have had several days of seemingly endless rain, with some areas of Southern and Central Kentucky getting over 7 inches in 48 hours or so. Friday was no different, and I fought the rain and storms as I headed South...but if the sun had been out, shooting a Northbound would have been pointless (and backlit). With it being a holiday weekend, you would have figured a lot of folks would have been out to shoot this one, but myself and Mr. Odell (Trainchaser2) where the only Two out South of Danville. We both got soaked to the bone more than once, but I like the bad weather, and sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to get the shot! 

We encountered a lot of flooding and water over the roads, but thankfully the train was not making good time as it fought its way North into the yard at Danville. With some determined and careful driving, we managed a few good shots. Below are a few favorites, and you can check out the whole set if you click on this link >>>>>   http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/nsheritage_2013_eb

I first encountered the 142 just South of Waynesburg, where OTTO would have them sit for an hour or so to meet 295, 215 & 117. I couldn't find a decent location to shoot them there, so the first shot of the day would be 295 as the rolled along Jacobs Loop road, just North of Waynesburg.

Next up was 215, seen here passing 117 at Jacobs Loop. As soon as the pair of money makers got by, 117 would cross over at Waynesburg to let the 142 get on the move.

I moved on down the mountain to Southfork for my first shot of the 1070, and ran into Mr. Odell who was already there. We heard 142 getting close, and stepped out into the hard COLD rain to be ready..thats not fog in this shot, thats a pounding deluge! I had forgotten just how dang heavy a pair of bib overalls could be when wet, and I must have weighed 50 pounds more by the time I got back in the dry.

Of course, after getting soaked, the rain let up about 30 seconds before the train showed up...NS 142 at Southfork KY..

Our train would get a bit of delay with a bad signal at Geneva, which gave us just enough time to get ahead of them again for a shot a Palm. You can see yet another wave of rain in the background, quickly overtaking us.

After Palm, I headed North as fast as I could on the flooded roads, and just beat the train to the top of Moreland Hill. As soon as I jumped out of the car, a whole herd of young ladies came running towards me..that seems to happen a lot to me, almost like a curse. I tried to tell them I was happily married, but they just kept coming..must be my cologne or something :)

I finally fought off the groupies, and got a nice little shot of the 1070 coming by the barn there in the Northern suburbs of Moreland

After a brief stop in Danville for fuel, 142 headed off into the wet evening, and towards a couple of other Jreb members who where waiting for it North of Lexington. Here is 142 coming under the Buster Pike bridge at CP North Wye, near Faulkner KY

After I got back home and got some dry drawers on, Carmon and I headed back out for dinner and to shoot the fireworks show in Anderson County. As luck would have it, the fireworks got cancelled, but we enjoyed a nice evening drive in the country and watched a glorious sunset. Just before dark, I got my last shot of the day...a lone horse standing on a hillside as the sun set in the background...a perfect ending to the day.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

thpbears

Badhorse79

It's a good thing we type comments .... cause my jaws still on the floor !!!
That's some GREAT shot EM

E.M. Bell

Ha..didnt mean to cause any jaw pain there, but thanks!

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk