New Athearn Genesis GP38-2s in Norfolk Southern Paint

Started by ARandall70, November 12, 2012, 09:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARandall70

http://www.athearn.com/Content/PDF/Athearn_2013_Edition_I_Catalog_LR.pdf

We are finally getting a well detailed model of Norfolk Southern's fleet of high-hood GP38-2's.

List of features:

•Phase I
•MU catch box front and rear
•Early coupler cut bars
•Switching steps
•Operating ditch lights front and rear
•Front and rear drop steps
•81" high nose with ratchet brake
•Two Nathan P-3 horns
•Riveted side cab
• Cab interior with single control stand facing long hood forward
•Sun visor
•Firecracker antenna
•Early battery box doors
• Non-operating walkway lights on the long hood
•Early ECAFB
• Standard Dash-2 ribbed blower housing type
•Intermediate inertial air intake grilles
•Raised exhaust stacks
•Modified dynamic brake housing
•Curved radiator grab irons
•Widely-spaced radiator fans
•Chicken-wire radiator grilles
•Blomberg-M trucks
•Speed recorder
•Salem air filters
•2600-gallon fuel tank
• Bell mounted on the end of the long hood

DCC Sound and DC versions coming. Next year is going to be expensive!
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70

NSMoWandS

As a model railroader... is any year not expensive? LOL! Dan

Conductor

I'm curious what the (over)price will be.  Given the right circumstances, I might look into it, but I've got some Atlas Master custom painted NS GP's that I'm sure cost way less than the Athearn, and given their reputation with me, the Atlas probably pull more, too.
Conductor's posts represent the views of Conductor and are not representative of any carrier.

chipallen16

Badhorse79

Quote from: Conductor on November 12, 2012, 05:50:47 PM
I'm curious what the (over)price will be.  Given the right circumstances, I might look into it, but I've got some Atlas Master custom painted NS GP's that I'm sure cost way less than the Athearn, and given their reputation with me, the Atlas probably pull more, too.
Im going to say MRSP will be 199.99 non sound and 299.99 with sound!  Now 90% of the retail world will sell both for $50-60 less

NSMoWandS

I know what you mean about (over)price. Just bought 3 89ft flats from Walther's. Original MSRP... $44.98ea. On sale... $12.98ea. Hmm. I wonder what "their" cost actually was? Dan

ARandall70

$189 and $289 are the price points. I'm hoping the street price is under $150 for the DC version, as I do want a nice pair of GP38-2's. I have a pair of Atlas HH GP38's that are ready to be chop-nosed and go from 2700's to 5500's, too!

Price is what it is. Look for the best deals if you can find them. If not, there are plenty of blue box units out there for the taking*. Its not like we are talking about a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread here.

*Not trying to piss people off, its just easy to knock blue box, and I have several BB cars. I am always active in the market for new old stock. Recent buys of first generation Genesis models, atlas master and classic GP's, and Athearn RTR on the secondhand market were at very good prices. If the stuff now is too much for you, sit on it and they will come around. I just get tired of complaints on price. I'm a broke college student and can plan finances enough to get the stuff I want, so most people can.
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70

NSMoWandS

AR70, if you ever get to Gettysburg, PA... the train "store" (in the guys house) is loaded with old Athearn, Roundhouse, Atlas, Wathers, and more of old kits. One of my favorite places! Dan

NSTopHat

Quote from: NSMoWandS on November 12, 2012, 06:18:09 PM
I know what you mean about (over)price. Just bought 3 89ft flats from Walther's. Original MSRP... $44.98ea. On sale... $12.98ea. Hmm. I wonder what "their" cost actually was? Dan

Dan;

When inventory gets old enough at the mfgr level they will sell it at a loss. When they file tax returns, they will be able to take the loss as a deduction. That being said, regardless of what their actual cost is, i.e. all costs to get it produced, boxed and shipped to Milwuakee, plus advertising and other US based overhead costs, at the end of the day, or year in this case, they aren't losing money.

Russ

NSMoWandS

Russ, I wouldn't think they would sell it at a loss. Maybe for cost. But, I know what you are saying. Gotta make room for new product. Just a big difference from $45 to $13. Bought 3 for less than original price of one. Not complaining though! LOL! I usually wait for stuff to come down... unless I REALLY, REALLY want it!!! LOL! Dan

Badhorse79

Here's a pic from Athearns website from the OKC train show

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk