Main Menu

ballest track.

Started by Badhorse79, June 17, 2012, 03:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badhorse79

:)Im in the middle of learning how to ballast my track ... so I read,  watched,  and thought of everything got the needs of the business!  And I failed its clumpy and not drying as fast as I thought ...any ideas please or a local who would like to come over and help lol ... THANKS

thpbears

Did you pre soak it with a alcohol and water mixture? A guy told me at a local rail club that was the key. I have not started putting ballast down so don't know for sure but theirs looked real nice. Of course you could just leave it like that and start running CSX so it would look natural. ( Just Kidding) Let me know if you get a better tip.

Badhorse79

Nope that I didn't do that so I went down and resoaked it!!!  thanks Bears

chipallen16

JWall

Definitely use the 50/50 alcohol solution so the glue will penetrate.  Friend from the UK showed me the following:

http://www.green-scene.co.uk/Ballast%20Mate.html

Thought it worked nicely so he has picked me up one.  If you figure it out, I will let you do mine Badhorse,  I hate doing ballast!!!!!

JWall
Rural Hall NC
where the K and CF lines met
James Wall
Rural Hall, NC

Badhorse79

Thanks to everyone for the info and links!  I think its working better?  And the ballast maybe to big for my liking its the Woodland Scenics Medium Ballast,  oh well!  Here's a pic of the place where the switch motors will go

NSMoWandS

Laying ballast is more of an art... best to work in one foot sections at a time. Pre soak with 50/50 rubbing alcohol and water breaks the surface tension of the woodland scenic glue(or diluted white elmers glue) and allows it to soak in between the ballast. I use medium size for main lines and a mix of med and fine for industrial sidings... however... (and I may hear it for this) I do not glue any of my ballast. If it moves here and there a little... so what? If I need to re-lay some ballast in spots... so do the big boys! That way, there are sections that are newer and cleaner... just like the real thing... but, I do not have any kids... and people are told do not touch... but, usually I get a finger poke here or there. Also, I am always changing things... so having the ease of removing it quickly and cleanly is a plus... But, Badhorse... it is your layout, you are God, and you should do what is best for you. Just do not get upset... it is just like painting engines... practice, practice, practice!!! And it is looking good. PS- once dry... use the back side of an x-acto blade to run along the web of the rails to clear the ballast out... sometimes if glued in the web... it can cause a derailment!  Looks like we got our first modeling tip of the month for July!!!! LOL!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk