Main Menu

Tuesday Projects

Started by ARandall70, May 22, 2012, 03:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARandall70

Been working on a few small but fun projects this afternoon:

Finished painting this bridge and making the bridge track. This bridge will go on a friends layout and will carry a dummy track representing the Winston-Salem Southbound Railway. We recently constructed an interchange track and work on the over-under scene will start this week. I hand painted the letters and logo(still not sure if I will make a more accurate logo, maybe with a decal). It will be weathered before it goes on his layout. The bridge track is Atlas code 83 with the spacers cut out between the ties so I could push them closer together. I'll add guardrails after installation.

I also added Kadee couplers and real 3M scotchlite striping to a pair of tank cars and a new locomotive today. The GP40 NS 1369 is an Atlas Master model, which got No. 58's and a white sill stripe. Still to come are the all-weather cab windows and a new horn. I also removed the foot boards on the front and rear pilot and used a silver sharpie marker to highlight the air and M.U. hose connections.

The two 25, 500 gallon tank cars are also Atlas models, with kadee No. 119 double shelf couplers and yellow striping added to match other cars in the prototype number series, but I didn't find pictures of these specific road numbers.

All 3 pieces or rolling stock:

Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70

Badhorse79

Wow the bridge looks great ... I love the HH 40 ... and the Tank cars as well ... where did ya get the 3M tape at I've looked all over and can't seem to find any ...?

ARandall70

Thanks. As for the scotchlite, I bought mine off of ebay a year or two ago, in 2" by 18" strips, i find that is much easier than dealing with a roll. I'm almost out of white, as I've equipped all of my engines that did not have a painted on stripe or dashed stripe on the side side sill. I could do it to probably 200 more freight cars. The trick is getting it thin enough. Some people put the decal stripes on from microscale or others, but when someone catches it just right in the light and realizes its actually reflective and not a decal, its is worth it. And the scotchlite removes instantly with no residue.
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC

NSMoWandS

Looks great! Love the Scotchlite! And, I think I know what Heritage Unit you will be doing!  :)

ARandall70

Quote from: NSMoWandS on May 22, 2012, 05:40:19 PM
Looks great! Love the Scotchlite! And, I think I know what Heritage Unit you will be doing!  :)

Lol, I live about a mile from one of the last parts of the old NS still under control of the new NS, so the 8114 is certainly my favorite. I was born almost 20 years too late to see any of the old NS, and never thought I'd see a Vermillion and Yellow NS unit.
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC

stillbre

Anthony,
The GP40 and tanks looks very nice.  I have a 1388 that is slowly working its way to the top of my to-do list.  Might even try and have it done for KenFest in August or maybe NRV this fall.  I really like those Atlas tanks too.  I'll have to post my versions.
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk