D9-40C 8852 looking alot worse.

Started by Badhorse79, April 04, 2012, 09:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badhorse79

Well I finished weathering 8852 I know I showed a pic of it be fore but I added more weathering and took care of the Scotch guard logos! Let me know what ya guys think ...! I used a varnish mixed with a brownish black powder and let it get a lil thick then dabbed the decal with it ... waited a few minutes then took a stiff brush and just swiped and dabbed it till I thought it looked right

Badhorse79

Ptrainman

Thats a rough looking engine, but thats the way its supposed to be.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

NSMoWandS

Can still make out the words... not enough weathering yet!!! haha! Looks great!

thpbears

Nice would look good pulling my NS bethgons from the ole mine down the track.

Badhorse79

Thanks guys ... MoW I thought the same thing ! I wanna give it the flaked look but I haven't quite figured that out yet ...

NSMoWandS

You will need... small amount of thinner/pine-sol... and fine grit sand paper and some q-tips... soak the lettering in thinner/pine-sol( small amount of time for thinner...longer with pine-sol... if you are unsure... use the pine-sol... more forgiving than thinner) and use the fine sandpaper and/or q-tips to slowly work the paint off. Lots of small removals look better than one large removal... hope this helps.

Badhorse79

Really ... I never would of thought pine sol but I will try this thanks

NSMoWandS

Would have never thought of it either, but for an article in MR. Guy used pine-sol to take the BNSF off of the hood to put numbers on to make it a BN executive unit. Works really well.

mbgphoto79

Looks good, you can also use 91% isopropyl alcohol but be careful as it works quick!

Badhorse79

That's what I used to get the bleached spots it creates a frost look ... there's probably a chemical engineer out there that would blow our minds to the neat tricks to this kinda stuff

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk