3 Days of the Southern Tier Mainline

Started by Matt L, February 06, 2012, 07:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

The trailing loco for 13T was an ex-UP SD60.

Photo taken by me Sunday 1/29/2012 in the Village of Addison, NY. 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The tail end of 13T flies by me.

Photo taken by me Sunday 1/29/2012 in the Village of Addison, NY. 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

About 30 minutes later, I was back on the chase... pursuing 12T as that train headed west through the Canisteo River valley.

Photo taken by me Sunday 1/29/2012 in Rathbone, NY. 

Matt L

Soon, i was back in a familiar location...

Photo taken by me Sunday 1/29/2012 in Cameron Mills, NY. 

Matt L

12T makes the approach to County Route 110.

Matt L

The trio of widecabs powering 12T was impressive.

Matt L

CSX happens...

Matt L

The tail end of 12T heads westward on the Southern Tier Mainline.

Matt L

Heading back east, I decided to check out the Gang Mills yard.

Photo taken by me Sunday 1/28/2012 in Gang Mills, NY.

Matt L

Zooming in, I could tell 13T was still in the yard. Can you spot it?

Matt L

The power for 13T was idling at the east end of the yard and would get under way shortly after this shot.

Matt L

13T passes the old Hickling power station east of Corning. The spur to the plant is in the background.

Photo taken by me Sunday 1/29/2012 in Gibson, NY.

Matt L

13T heads east on the old Erie/EL mainline.

Matt L

The sky was starting to cloud up again as 13T departed, but snow would hold off until after dark.

Matt L

The tail end of 13T passes MP 285. My chase ended here, as it was getting late- time for dinner with family.

Photo taken by me Sunday 1/29/2012 in Gibson, NY. When I resume this series again, we'll take a look at Gang Mills under colder conditions.

Matt L

OK, let's wrap things up with the Day #3. Snow had fallen overnight, but the dawn was again clear (and also quite cold). I headed "over the border" and spent much of the day with the Wellsboro & Corning RR. Pics from that chase will be eventually be added to my Empire Link thread in the Nags Head Lounge.

In the meantime, let's take a look a few miles north of the border... at Gang Mills Yard. This pair SD40-2s was idling near the east end of the facility. I recall seeing #3410 around the same time of year in 2010, but she was still wearing blue Conrail dress at the time.

Photo taken by me Monday 1/30/2012 in Gang Mills, NY.

Matt L

This view gives a better impression of the snow we experienced the night before.

Matt L

A pair of widecabs was assembling a train.

Matt L

Widecabs run light through the yard.

Matt L

Another trio of widecabs was preparing for departure at the west end of the yard.

Matt L

Other than an occasional shuffle move, the Gang Mills yard was pretty quiet, so I took my leave of the Southern Tier Mainline and headed back to Rochester after this shot.

Photo taken by me Monday 1/30/2012 in Gang Mills, NY. I hope you have enjoyed this pictorial- it sure was a fun set of days for me.

steveiez

That is a beautiful part of NY state. Nice pictures too. Where does the Southern Tier start and finish? Do they get much traffic?
Steve

Matt L

Thank you very much. I grew up in the vicinity of the Tier... and can remember when it was still the Erie Lackawanna. Some folks just think of New York City when they think of my state... and while I will admit that Manhattan does have appeal, the Finger Lakes region in upstate NY is truly special to me.

The Southern Tier Mainline is made up of the following segments:
1. Former Erie/EL Buffalo Division from Bison Yard in Cheektowaga, NY to CP Cass in Hornell, NY.
2. Former Erie/EL mainline from CP Cass to Corning, NY.
3. Former DL&W ROW from Corning, NY to Gibson, NY. About 10 miles of track was moved over from the Erie ROW to the parallel DL&W roadbed circa 1984 to make way for "improvements" to Route 17.
4. Former Erie/EL mainline from Gibson, NY to Croxton Yard in Seacaucus, NJ.

About 12-16 trains use the Southern Tier Mainline daily west of Binghamton, NY. There is serious talk of more traffic being added to the Tier.  A reliable source has told me NS will add a transfer freight between Bison Yard and Sayre, PA by July to handle the growing interchange traffic. (A couple of connecting shortlines are exploding with traffic right now.) Furthermore, the same source (whom I trust deeply) has indicated that NS is about to resume through service east of Binghamton, which currently sees local service only.      

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk