From the Old Slide Box

Started by Ponce de Leon, August 05, 2011, 09:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponce de Leon

I was digging through some old slides and scanned this one of possible interest. This is October 1972, and those are two E8s in fresh Southern Crescent green and gold. They're leaving Appalachia, VA with an inspection train (in today's vernacular, an "OCS"). The two units brought this six car train down from SR headquarters in Washington via the traditional interline passenger route via Roanoke to Bristol---overnight. There, the train went over the now-abandoned Appalachia Division Bristol Line from Bristol to Moccasin Gap, VA via Benhams, Mendota and Hiltons.

After an all day session at Appalachia, the train departed that afternoon via the Interstate to Norton. From there, it followed the N&W Clinch Valley District to Bluefield---then the N&W back through Roanoke to Lynchburg, and then back to DC via the Southern main line. Again, it was an overnight trip back to DC.

Sonny Burchfield and I chased this train all the way from Appalachia to St. Paul, and color photography was almost impossible, since it was heading almost due east and was back-lit (at least where there was sun---most of the route was in deep shadow by then). This shot isn't too good, but it's the best of the bunch.

I still remember wanting to see these beauties roll---but except for the engineer "goosin' 'em" a little on  the long tangent on the N&W just outside Coeburn, VA, this wasn't the real Southern Crescent making up time north of Charlottesville.

I'll bet you guys didn't know green and gold Southern E8s covered some of these routes!
Ron Flanary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk