My 3 day weekend in upstate NY

Started by Matt L, June 13, 2011, 05:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

Thank goodness for the street lights, or else I wouldn't have gotten anything this long after dark. As it was, I ended the chase shortly after taking this final shot at 9:40 PM and headed yto my hotel (which was jut a few hundred feet away). This stands as my latest chase of all time.

Photo taken by me Sunday 6/5/2011 in the city of Geneva, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Sure, I couldv'e gone home... which was about 45 minuts away. However, I wanted to get an early start on the next day, so I slept in the local Hampton Inn... which is within sight of the Corning Secondary and a Finger Lakes Railway branchline.

Sure enough, FGLK GY1 was working on the Corning Secondary the next morning.

Photo taken by me Monday 6/6/2011 in the city of Geneva, NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

FGLK #2201 sports a Lehigh Valley inspired paint scheme, since LV did own U23Bs (though not this one) and because FGLK does operate a couple stubs of the LV mainline.

Matt L

A line of small trees has been planted next to the highway... which makes photographing any NS or FGLK action north of Lake Street a challenge. I was forced to shoot into the sun in order to capture GY1 coming off the Corning Secondary.

Matt L

After GY1 passed, I headed south along Route 14 to see if I could catch any FGLK action. Along the way, I stopped in Himrod and watched these guys inspect the NS bridge.

Photo taken by me Monday 6/6/2011 in the town of Himrod, NY.

Matt L

I did find FGLK local HW2 drilling one of the salt mines at the south end of Seneca Lake. This mine and another one nearby are a strong source of traffic for FGLK, which is in turn interchanged with NS. 

Photo taken by me Monday 6/6/2011 in Watkins Glen, NY.

Matt L

FGLK brought down the MOW gang, so that halted local freight operations at the mines for the rest of the day. That was OK, because the "critters" used for track work were pretty interesting...

Photo taken by me Monday 6/6/2011 in Watkins Glen, NY.

This concludes my epic 3 day weekend. I hope y'all have enjoyed it.   

Matt L

Quote from: Matt L on June 13, 2011, 05:38:19 PMIn fact, I saw this same SD40-2 (#6036) leading 39T westbound on the Southern Tier Mainline during Easter weekend.

Correction: I didn't see this SD40-2 on Easter Weekend. I actually saw #6036 on the Southern Tier mainline several years ago.

One more thing: I have found 2 maps which will help you see where I was during my chases of NS and FGLK.

http://www.fglkrail.com/files/2010%20EmpireLink_Attention%20Shippers_MAP%20ONLY_final_October%2021-2010.pdf

http://www.fingerlakesscenicrailway.com/files/FGLK%20Passenger%20Map%20Final.pdf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk