My 3 day weekend in upstate NY

Started by Matt L, June 13, 2011, 05:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I have to say, the consist looked pretty impressive for a local... and I didn't even have a car count yet. I'd get that number further north, because at this point I was heading back to the Saturn to kick the chase into high gear.

Photo taken by me Sunday 6/5/2011 in Corning, NY. I hope to resume this series tomorrow. Enjoy!!!
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Let's resume the series from where I left off. Just north of the Baker Street Yard, the Corning Secondary begins to rise. In fact, it has an average grade of 0.85% between North Corning and Dundee, with a ruling grade of 1.0%. Six axle power is a must for H06.

Photo taken by me Sunday 6/5/2011 in North Corning, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

This looks like a flat valley floor, but H06 is grinding its way up the grade here. I could hear the Dash 9s straining to accelerate, even though they were about mile away.

Photo taken by me Sunday 6/5/2011 in Hornby, NY.

Matt L

Up to this point, the horn(s) of the lead Dash 9 had been silent, because there are no grade crossings on he Corning Secondary between the wye at Corning and Post Creek. Even private crossings are rare here.

Photo taken by me Sunday 6/5/2011 in Hornby, NY.

Matt L

H06 finally encountered a couple of grade crossings in Post Creek, so the horn blasts helped me keep tabs on the train's progress. I had plenty of time to set-up by the time H06 approached the State Route 414 bridge.

Photo taken by me Sunday 6/5/2011 in Post Creek, NY. Note the different number boards on the nose of NS #8440.

Matt L

Those Dash 9s were really working hard as they trudged up hill.

Photo taken by me Sunday 6/5/2011 in Post Creek, NY.

Matt L

The consist looked very impressive- the GEs seen in the last shot had already passed under Route 414, but the majority of the train had yet to cross under the bridge

Photo taken by me Sunday 6/5/2011 in Post Creek, NY.

Matt L

H06 passes through a wooded area in the Finger Lakes region.

Photo taken by me Sunday 6/5/2011 in Beaver Dams, NY.

Matt L

H06 approaches the Cooley Road crossing around 7:00 PM.

Matt L

The tail end of H06 heading up the grade on the Corning Secondary.

Matt L

After H06 cleared Beaver Dams, I drove ahead to Watkins Glen for a brief "pit stop" which included fluids for my Saturn and myself. After that, I drove head to Himrod. This town has been a railroad junction for well over a hundred years.

NS and the Finger Lakes Railway form a large X on a map, right in the heart of the Finger Lakes. To visualize, NS's Corning Secondary (the ex-NYC Corning Branch) forms the lower left and upper right legs of the X. The Finger Lakes Railway  (ex-Pennsy Elmira Branch) forms the lower right and upper left legs of the X. The two lines meet at Himrod. FGLK maintains a small yard there but H06 does not stop in Himrod. Instead, H06 will make its drop at the main FGLK yard in Geneva, with FGLK utilizing trackage rights between Geneva and Himrod to reach its ex-PRR line... which is isolated from the rest of the FGLK system.

This hopper was in the yard, but I have no idea where it was headed (if anywhere).

Photo taken by me Sunday 6/5/2011 in Himrod, NY. When I resume this series, we'll take a look at something I'd never seen before.  ;)

butch

Matt, It looks like you had a great time.  Thanks for the pix.
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

Matt L

Quote from: butch on June 15, 2011, 08:20:31 AMMatt, It looks like you had a great time.  Thanks for the pix.

You're welcome, Butch. I was really enjoying myself that evening.

Resuming where I left off, H06 came through the junction late in the day.

Photo taken by me Sunday 6/5/2011 in Himrod, NY.

Matt L

Last year, I attempted a chase of H06 which was cut short by rain and darkness. My luck was much better this year, with H06 hitting the Route 14 crossing at sunset. 

Matt L

Added bonus: N&W hoppers in the consist!

Matt L

After H06 cleared the Route 14 crossing, I could hear the brakes squealing as H06 headed downhill on a 1.1% grade between Himrod and Dresden. North of there, the Corning Secondary flatted out and runs along the shore of Seneca Lake most of the way to the city of Geneva. This was the first time I saw a train on this line... ever.

Photo taken by me Sunday 6/5/2011 in the town of Benton, NY.

Matt L

The Corning Secondary ROW sits between State Route 14 and Seneca Lake north of Dresden.

Matt L

There are also a number of lakeside cottages along the ROW, so it must be interesting when NS (or the Finger Lakes Railway) rumbles
through the area.

Matt L

I don't know if I'd park my vehicle that close to the tracks... but it was a common sight along the western shore of Seneca Lake.

Matt L

Daylight was quickly fading... so the pictures became more challenging in the growing dark, but I got as much as I could.

Matt L

My final shot before heading north into the city of Geneva.

Photo taken by me Sunday 6/5/2011 in the town of Geneva, NY.

Ptrainman

Great pictures. But those units on H06 are both Ex-CR Dash 8-40CWs, not Dash 9s.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

Matt L

H06 arrives in the city of Geneva under the cover of darkness.

Photo taken by me Sunday 6/5/2011 in Geneva, NY.

Matt L

The Finger Lakes Railway yard is inaccessible (without trespassing), so I was content to shoot from a parking lot near my hotel.

Photo taken by me Sunday 6/5/2011 in the city of Geneva, NY.

Matt L

H06 approaches the Lake Street crossing.

Photo taken by me Sunday 6/5/2011 in the city of Geneva, NY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk