Main Menu

January 2011 Contest

Started by JCagle, December 05, 2010, 09:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vote for Up to 3 Entries

VirginiaSouthern's Pee Dee River Railroad
2 (8.7%)
easterniarail's IAIS train CRIC(Cedar Rapids-Iowa City)
1 (4.3%)
easterniarail's CRIC01
1 (4.3%)
VirginiaSouthern's Hamton & Branchville
1 (4.3%)
Carmon's RJC
4 (17.4%)
Carmon's Coal Train
6 (26.1%)
tarnett's Dell, CA
3 (13%)
tarnett's Stein's Hill
2 (8.7%)
John Owens' P&L coal train
2 (8.7%)
John Owens' Indiana Rail Road Santa Train
1 (4.3%)
Matt L's Finger Lakes Railway
1 (4.3%)
Matt L's Arcade & Attica
1 (4.3%)
srman's Cajon Pass
1 (4.3%)
srman's KCS
3 (13%)
mbgphoto79's NS 218
1 (4.3%)
mbgphoto79's CSX GE
0 (0%)
MP15NUT's CSX Q190
0 (0%)
MP15NUT's CSX 4418
2 (8.7%)
NS2593's Holston River
2 (8.7%)
NS2593's Kermit
0 (0%)
E.M. Bell's Coupler
6 (26.1%)
E.M. Bell's Leviathon
2 (8.7%)
JET's CSX
1 (4.3%)
JET's circus train
7 (30.4%)
Whitethorne's NS 18M
3 (13%)
Whitethorne's 875
1 (4.3%)
jjohns5182 K-T clays 1383
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: January 04, 2011, 01:01:34 AM

JCagle

For the January contest I would like to do something we have not done in the history of the contest. This month we are going to open it up to something other than NS. This month's theme is your best shot all time that is not NS as long as it is rail related. It can be taken at any time on any road. Be sure to take this chance to show off your non NS related stuff!

We will take entries until the 27th (because of the holiday weekend) and then put the poll up for 5 days.

And as always.... the rules

All images entered in the contest must be your own images. Any violations of this will be banned from entering the contest for 6 months. Any subsequent violations will receive a minimum of 1 year suspension from the contest. At Jreb we take seriously the rights of photographers, and we strive to protect those rights.

Entries may be watermarked with your name if you desire, but please remove any references to other sites for contest entries.

There will be a theme announced for each month's contest.

All entries must be Norfolk Southern or it's predecessors.

There is no age limit or time frame that the pictures must be from.

Everyone including moderators and administrators may enter the contest.

Each participant is limited to two entries in the contest.

Since the winning image is posted on the main page you must attach the file as a thumbnail. You may post the image in the thread as well if you desire. Attaching the image can be done in the additional options menu above and to the left of the post button.

The deadline for entries will be posted in the theme post each month. Following the deadline a poll is placed in the thread for voting. When the poll is posted the deadline to vote is also posted. The poll will time out at the designated time. The winner is determined by the highest vote total.

In the event of a tie vote there will be a 48 hour run off.

If you have any questions or concerns contact jbcagle7073 via the private messaging feature, or via email at
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

VirginiaSouthern

A pair of Pee Dee River Railroad GP16s pull a mixed freight south through the town of Bennettsville, SC on a warm fall day.
Tommy Warshaw
Click here to see my photos on Flickr

easterniarail

The Iowa Interstate Railroad is a regional railline that berth from the ashes of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific. Its main runs from Council Bluffs to Blue Island(track rights from Utica to Blue Island over CSX and Metra). IAIS just celebrated its 25th Anniversary by painting one of its ES44AC's in the original "Rocket" scheme.

On 9/29/10, IAIS train CRIC(Cedar Rapids-Iowa City) passes by the Iowa Northern's Hawkeye Express parked in the Vernon Spur. The Hawkeye Express runs fans to downtown Iowa City during home football games and the locomotive is a former Amtrak leader, also painted in a Rock Island scheme. Iowa Northern runs on ex-RI trackage from Cedar Rapids to Manly, IA.

easterniarail

November 10, 2010--CRIC01 climbs up the east leg of the wye at Yocum Connection approaching IAIS homerails. This train runs daily between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City and has track rights over the CRANDIC(Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Rwy). On this day, 79 cars of ADM and other freight head to Iowa City, where the train will become ICRI01(Iowa City-Rock Island, IL) later in the day. Power was 513, 500, 512.

VirginiaSouthern

Hamton & Branchville GP9 #667 (former N&W) leads a string of empty coal hoppers through Miley, SC bound for interchange with CSX at Hampton.
Tommy Warshaw

tarnett

My first image is from my trip to Cajon pass in October of 2008 and features a BNSF stack train climbing the grade on track 2 towards Summit. Location: Dell, CA

Enjoy,

Todd Arnett

tarnett

My second image is from the same trip but features a westbound BNSF stack train crossing under I-15. Said train is taking it's time on track 3 which is a 3% grade.  This photo was taken at "Stein's Hill" near Cajon Station. This is also the site where a runaway train, in approximately 1997, derailed, killing the crew and shutting down the entire area due to hazmat conditions.

Enjoy,

Todd Arnett

John Owens

My shots feature two of my favorite regional railroads to photograph, the Paducah and Louisville Railway and the Indiana Rail Road.

The first photograph is a southbound empty P&L coal train crossing the trestle at Big Clifty, KY. The train consists of 4 mother-slug sets.

The second photograph is the 2010 Indiana Rail Road Santa Train crossing the trestle at Tulip, IN. Leading the train is INRD 9025, the 25th Anniversary painted SD9043MAC.

John Owens

Matt L

Back in the springtime a couple years ago, the Finger Lakes Railway commemorated the 50th anniversary of the end of passenger service on the Auburn Road (a former New York Central line) with an excursion. In honor of the occasion, FGLK borrowed privately owned #8223, which is a former NYC RS3.

Photo taken by me Saturday 5/18/2008 in Sennett, NY. The New York Central used #8223 and her sisters in both freight and passenger service across the Empire State during the 1950s and '60s.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Sometimes, the "going away" shot can be alot of fun. This was definitely the case when I caught the Arcade & Attica's 2-8-0 #18 on a fall excursion. 

Photo taken by me Monday 10/13/2008 in Java Center, NY. The A&A has been offering excursions since 1962 and I'm proud to say I've ridden the line 4 times.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

srman

Three month old ATSF SD75M 207 along with two others and a Dash 8 lead a westbound by Cajon Pass on July 6,1995.

srman

On what had to be a picture perfect day for Kansas City Southern's Santa Train their A-B-A FP9's back into the wye at Roodhouse Illinois in preparation to head south to Godfrey on December 18,2007.

mbgphoto79

NS 218 at CP Cox with a couple of BNSF units chugs south, 12/14/10. 

A matched set of CSX GE's at Chattanooga, 1995. 

MP15NUT

CSX Q190 at CP Norris in Upper Merion Twp. Pa.

CSX 4418 Sits in the yard at Lansdale, Pa. for the night. 
MP15NUT
Modeling the NS Delmarva Secondary as the Delmarva Central

delcrr.webs.com
DELC is now on facebook!
Just search Delmarva Central!

NS2593

Photo 1: CSX U338-05 soars across the Holston River on a beautiful day in November. 11/13/10

Photo 2: The 2008 edition of the CSX Santa Train passing through Kermit, VA on November 22, 2008.

E.M. Bell

Standing at the rear of my engine on the L&O, looking down at the drawbars as we climb Two Mile Hill near Pisgah KY, on the former Southern and NS LL branch. This was a favorite remote location of mine to step out and "inspect the ballast" and let the train do its thing. We usually ran with just one person on the train, and when you had to go, you had to go...no need stopping, just put her in #8 and go for a walk...March 2002

During at night photo session at the 2009 trainfest in Michigan, I saw this little scene and had about a minute to set up and shoot it before the engine was moved.  The rear driver on the newly built 4-4-0 "Leviathon" is backlit by the glow of her firebox...I am almost sure I am the only one who got a shot like this..everyone else was to busy getting the same shots of the same stuff near the turntable.  

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

JET

Pic #1 - CSX NB train at the north end semaphores at Romney, IN on the CSX Monon.

Pic #2 - CSX SB circus train lead by two WC SD-45s crossing the Wabash River north of Lafayette, IN at sunrise.

Whitethorne

NS 18M Pepper, VA
NS 875 Narrows, VA
Samuel Phillips
My photos: www.pbase.com/whitethorne
My videos: www.youtube.com/NS7500

jjohns5182

K-T clays 1383 SW1200RS switches cars in Langley SC. It is former CN 1383.

JCagle

The poll is up and active for the next 5 days.

JCagle

Congrats to JET for winning the contest! There were lots of entries and the voting was tight, so keep up the good work!

E.M. Bell

Congrats on the win John! SD45's, fog, bridge, what is there not to love!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

VirginiaSouthern

Congrats! I knew that shot was a winner when I saw it.
Tommy Warshaw

JET

Thank you guys. That is one of my favorite railroad photographs I have shot in my lifetime.

John Troxler

JCagle

I am finally going to get the pic up on the main page as well as the facebook album tonight.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk