0 (0%)
jjohns5182's Rail Grinder
4 (25%)
John Owens's Horseshoe CUrve
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: December 04, 2010, 09:40:07 PM

JCagle

Many times we focus on the trains hauling products and materials from coast to coast as the theme of our contest. They do the side of the work that everyone watches. Trains keep the country moving. This month I'd like to focus on the men and machines that keep the trains moving, and often are seen as a problem to getting over the road or "maintenance in the way". This month's theme is Maintenance of the Way. Show off your shots of work crews, maintenance projects, work trains, or anything related to MOW. If you have any questions if your shot will fit then just ask! Everyone gets 2 entries this month.

We will take entries until the 28th and get the poll up on the 29th.

And as always.... the rules

All images entered in the contest must be your own images. Any violations of this will be banned from entering the contest for 6 months. Any subsequent violations will receive a minimum of 1 year suspension from the contest. At Jreb we take seriously the rights of photographers, and we strive to protect those rights.

Entries may be watermarked with your name if you desire, but please remove any references to other sites for contest entries.

There will be a theme announced for each month's contest.

All entries must be Norfolk Southern or it's predecessors.

There is no age limit or time frame that the pictures must be from.

Everyone including moderators and administrators may enter the contest.

Each participant is limited to two entries in the contest.

Since the winning image is posted on the main page you must attach the file as a thumbnail. You may post the image in the thread as well if you desire. Attaching the image can be done in the additional options menu above and to the left of the post button.

The deadline for entries will be posted in the theme post each month. Following the deadline a poll is placed in the thread for voting. When the poll is posted the deadline to vote is also posted. The poll will time out at the designated time. The winner is determined by the highest vote total.

In the event of a tie vote there will be a 48 hour run off.

If you have any questions or concerns contact jbcagle7073 via the private messaging feature, or via email at
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

MP15NUT

H25 Meets a Highrailer at CP. Norris at MP. 18 on the Harrisburg Line.
MP15NUT
Modeling the NS Delmarva Secondary as the Delmarva Central

delcrr.webs.com
DELC is now on facebook!
Just search Delmarva Central!

Ed Fury

Photo #1 - Cleaning up a grade crossing accident. Taylorsville Rd and English Station, Fisherville Kentucky.

Photo #2 - Cleaning up the overgrown vegetation Six Mile Lane. MP 285 Louisville District.

mbgphoto79

LORAM rail grinder gets service at Pomona Yard in Greensboro, NC August 7, 2008.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12617727@N08/5145847433/in/photostream/

Matt L

This Jordan spreader was kicking up the dust as it worked at CP Cass during the summer:

Photo taken by me Friday 8/20/2010 in Hornell, NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

thpbears

NS MOW train taken by me on CSX mainline going back to Frisco,VA

thpbears

Working in Gate City VA taken by me

TonytheTiger

Welders on the old Reading mainline at CP Tara, just west of Hummelstown, PA.
Rob Kitchen
Harrisburg, PA

TonytheTiger

Eastbound Loram rail grinder on Main #2 at CP Tara, just west of Hummelstown, PA.
Rob Kitchen
Harrisburg, PA

lwjabo

I don't think that is a Jordan Spreader. It I think is a ballast regulator. The Jordan spreader I worked back in the late 1980s was pushed by and engine. It lifted the ballast at the end of the crossties to help drain the ballast and also cleaned out the ditches. What I see here is a T&S gang. They followed it with a back hoe and even had a bulldozer when needed. It was used only in (non signal) dark territory. Granted it was used on the I line and K line that was at  least part signal. I worked it from Griffin to Columbus on the old M line.

lwjabo

Jordan Spreader
  The Jordan Spreader is used to spread ballast (gravel) among the railway ties. It can also be used for snow removal.The original ballast spreader and spreader-ditcher were invented by Oswald F. Jordan, a Canadian who was a road master on New York Central's Canada Southern operations in the Niagara region.  The first two or three Jordan spreaders are believed to have been built under Jordan's direct supervision in the St. Thomas Canada Southern shop about 1900 which was located immediately to the east of the building which now houses the Museum.  After being partially damaged by fire, what was left of the building was razed in 1999.

Matt L

Quote from: lwjabo on November 13, 2010, 12:06:37 PM
I don't think that is a Jordan Spreader. It I think is a ballast regulator. The Jordan spreader I worked back in the late 1980s was pushed by and engine. It lifted the ballast at the end of the crossties to help drain the ballast and also cleaned out the ditches. What I see here is a T&S gang. They followed it with a back hoe and even had a bulldozer when needed. It was used only in (non signal) dark territory. Granted it was used on the I line and K line that was at  least part signal. I worked it from Griffin to Columbus on the old M line.

The MOW crew and equipment (in my pic) was on the Southern Tier Mainline, which is CTC.

Maybe this picture will help- it is the same machine photographed from a different angle.

Photo taken by me Friday 8/20/2010 in Hornell, NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

crazytiger

I took this shot of a NB MoW train in Clemson, SC on 11.7.09.

JCagle

It's good to see some new names popping up in the contest. Keep those entries coming in!

JCagle

Don't forget the contest closes on Sunday, and We'll get the poll up some time Monday!

jjohns5182

Rear of a LORAM rail grinder in Bath SC. Steam kicks up as water is sprayed on the hot rails. Taken today by me.

John Owens

NS 9689 leads a westbound train of MoW equipment around Horseshoe Curve on the Pittsburgh Line, near Altoona PA.

JCagle

The poll is up and will be active for the next 5 days. Look for the January contest theme in the next few days.

JCagle

Congrats to Tonythetiger for his shot of the welders working at CP Tara. We'll get that up on the main page later tonight!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk