August 2009 Photo Contest

Started by JCagle, July 08, 2009, 09:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCagle

This month the contest will be more about a style of shot instead of the setting. Let's see your best elevated shots. For those of you that aren't sure these are shots taken from bridges and buildings looking down on the train. We'll consider both head on and flat side shots. As always the rules are :

All entires must be of Norfolk Southern or its predecessors.

*Everyone is allowed to submit entries. (Moderators and administrators may enter.) 

*Each participant may enter no more than two photographs per contest.

*Whenever possible, please use the "Additional Options" link to post you images as a thumbnail. This will ensure that people using a dial-up connection can view the images.

*Selection of the winning photograph will be done by voting once the deadline for submissions has passed. The deadline will be a few days before the last day of the month and will be announced in the thread. No more submissions will be accepted after the deadline, and a poll will be added for voting at such time.

*A winner will be determined by the most votes at the end of each month.

* There is no time frame that the photos are required to be from.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

Whitethorne

First photo:233 Bluefield
Second photo:217 Salem
Samuel Phillips
My photos: www.pbase.com/whitethorne
My videos: www.youtube.com/NS7500

JCagle

Its not realy an elevated shot. It fits more of the 3/4 wedge category. We are looking for anything where you are above the train looking down on it.

butch

I have always liked the classic 1941 shot crossing CNO&TP bridge 54 at Burnside, but I probably can't get credit for it.  And my best bridge shot is of a train crossing the current bridge that I took from remains of bridge  54 , but it is taken from below-so it doesn't qualify either.  So I'll go with this picture taken from the Garland Road bridge just south of Tateville.  
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

swinstandley

NS Kentucky Derby train at the wye north of Danville, KY on the first Sunday of May, 2007.

CSXBVSub

185 at Bluefield

Conrail Tweety

Some pictures from the NS Virginia Division

First Picture:
After lowering the floor and realigning the track as part of the Heartland Corridor Project, a crew spreads new ballast at Pembroke Tunnel on the NS Christiansburg District 4/21/2008.

Second Picture:
The end of the NS Bradshaw Spur off the NS Whitethorne District. The NS Waste Line Express train hauls trash loads from the Tinker Creek Transfer Station in Roanoke to this unloading facility at the Smith Gap Landfill near Bradshaw. The NS WLE gons have their top covers removed and are shoved into the other side of this facility to be unloaded by a rotary tipper. The waste is then pushed across the floor into a pit where it falls into a special Caterpillar dump truck parked in the basement. The truck is then driven about one mile to the landfill pit. There are 30 WLE gons in the NS fleet, measuring about 70'L x 17'H, holding about 63 tons of trash in 8000 cubic feet of space.

The tankers in the foreground, NS 840000-NS 840003, are used to haul leachate from the landfill back to Roanoke for disposal into the city sewer system. 7/8/2008.

"I 'tawt I 'taw a Tessie tat!"

E.M. Bell

I have never entered before..in fact, I was one that made the rule that Admins ect couldn't enter, but Jason is in charge of the contest now...so here goes  :) 

#1  N&W 611 winds down the loops between Ridgecrest and Ashville NC, seen here at the East End of Little Tunnel. Erik Landrum and myself had to hike a bit to get this one.

#2  A Southbound is crawling up the grade at Keno KY, on the 2nd district of the CNO&TP. This is shot from the Cave Springs Road bridge, one of the highest overheads on the district.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

tarnett

NS 128 at Roanoke, VA with the 1218 and NS F units in the background. Enjoy.

Todd Arnett

tarnett

NS 184 near Oakvale, WV in March of 2003.  Enjoy.

Todd Arnett

Gage O'Dell

NS2593

First photo: NS 770 at Abingdon, VA on 7/29/2008.
Second photo: DPUs on NS 770 at Atkins, VA on 5/31/2008.

blue flag

#1. Mountian top view overlooking east slope toward Horseshoe Curve, Pa.
#2. Shot from highway bridge near Cresson, Pa.

JCagle

It looks like we have had another good month of entries. Be sure to get your shots in. We will close entries and begin voting tomorrow night.

NS145

33J at Iles Interlocker with the Illinois State Capitol building in the background.
NW: There's No Stopping Us!

tq-07fan

1) 376 Williamstown KY coming under US 25 bridge on the CNO&TP 1st District. July 24 2009
2) 61A Miamisburg, Ohio passing through the Miamisburg Mound on the dayton District. July 25 2009

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk