Sevier Area

Started by NS2593, July 25, 2006, 06:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NS2593

I will be taking a trip down to the Pidgeon Forge/Sevierville, TN area this weekend and I was wondering if anyone would happen to know if there was a good spot on public property to see the J.Sevier Yard. I also would need directions to that area from the I-40 exit next to the Smokies stadium (exit 407?). If anyone knows any other good public spots to view the trains within 5 miles of the yard, please provide directions to that area.
I don't know if I will have time to use the directions but in case I do have time I wanted to make sure I had them.

Thanks in Advance,
-Carl Long

Michael Knight

Rutledge Pike exit off I-40 West, turn right, go Approx. 1 1/2 miles East.

The area around John Sevier Yd., primarily West Sevier is easily accessed off of Rutledge Pike. The area around East Sevier is not accessible from public property.

West Sevier locations:

Rutledge Pike overpass (with sidewalks), overlooking the West end of the yard & CP West Sevier, the junction with the Knox-Chatt and K&O mainlines. There is parking (check w/them) at the market and businesses just east of the bridge, at the corner of Old Rutledge Pk.

You will pass the Division offices, Railroad Police Station and see a good deal of the yard along Old Rutledge Pike. There aren't any real good photo locations from public property here, though.

Cement Plant Road, the first left West of the bridge. It might be worth driving down (only permitted to the Cement plant), but unless you want to shoot from the street (like on Old Rutledge Pike) there are not really any good locations here either.

Parker Rd. crossing, where K&O trains are sometimes held awaiting an open track in the yard. Make first left, just east of the Rutledge Pk. bridge, cross tracks and park at the Spring Hill Park just below the crossing. You may elect to go to the end of Parker Rd. and turn right on to Loves Creek Rd. and turn right onto several small roads that the tracks cross.

There are many locations on public property in the area of Downtown Knoxville, including the diamond at Willoughby where the CSX KD Sub. & NS Knox-Chatt lines cross at grade.

Have fun!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk