Frankfort and Cincinnati Railroad

Started by tq-07fan, July 31, 2009, 12:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tq-07fan

I've seen pictures of the Frankfort and Cincinnati Railroad and read a little of what is know about it. I have always went through Georgetown, KY on I-75 (used to go to Keenland), and July 24th was the first time stopping to watch trains in Georgetown. I would like to know where the F & C crossed the CNO&TP in relation to the interlocking in Georgetown, if indeed it crossed at grade. Also an idea of where it crossed I-75 would be appriciated. Also like to know when the F & C was abandonded here in Georgetown. I have two pictures to give a frame of reference. I am not sure if the name of the crossing but I liked the location.

Picture 1) Looking North toward Cincinnati, note the advance approach on the GRS searchlights for 376.
Picture 2) Looking South toward Lexington, that's 376 passing a Hi-Rail truck.

Thank You

Jim

kbarnett

You were practically standing on the F&C rightof way when you took the picture. There was a diamond at about where the crossing is today. The F&C crossed I-75 just north of the Old Lemons Mill Rd. overpass about 1-1.5 miles south of the Georgetown exit.

tq-07fan

Thank You for the reply. I'll have to go down to Georgetown and do some more sleuthing, looking for the small signs of abandonded right of way like power lines and telephone cables changing elevation to cross the railroad and stuff. I guess I was only there a couple minutes, long enough to see the Hi-Rail truck, train and stair at those searchlight signals.

Jim

butch

Jim,

You can follow much of the  line from Frankfort to Georgetown.  Looking at topos and a satellite map will help you figure out where to look.  You'll see old bridge remains and there is a guy on Switzer Road who still has a mile post in edge of his yard-I think it was MP6.  The Georgetown to Paris side is not as easy to follow, though there are some bridge remains.  There are a couple of books with info on the F&C.  One is Forty Miles, Forty Bridges; The Story of the Frankfort & Cincinnati Railroad, by Kenneth R. Hixson.   The other is The Best School I Ever Attended, by Michael Gillespie.

Butch
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

butch

Ran across this old pic from athe August 1950 issue of Railroad Magazine:
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

Beavis

Butch,

I'm glad you mentioned "The Best School I Ever Attended".  That's an interesting book.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk