Southern 44 tonners

Started by nsdtk, March 28, 2009, 03:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsdtk

Does anyone know what happend to the Southern 44 tonners?

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

the only ones i have looked for are the three from chattanooga traction company, one of which  of which has  been scrapped the  1954 another says retired then sold to lenoir car works but i have no idea what or where that is and cant find a rd number the third the 1955 went to ware shoals road.  hope this helps
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

TM3358

The Lenoir car works is here in Lenoir City but was torn down some years ago and you can see the sight but cant really get on to it
both pds tend to watch it

nsdtk

Thanks for the info
Im looking for info about these
Southern had three that were used on the
branch at Hawkinsville Georgia until the mid 1970's.  There were bridges
there that would not handle anything heavier.
I know the 1952 was one of them
Thanks for the info

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

ok assuming the rd numbers were close to the others i found and the one number you gave was very close , I did find a #1951 and #1950 still alive on the lowville and beaver river railroad. it doesnt say its ex southern but with those numbers and knowing they probably didnt change them that may be some of the ones your looking for not sure but it sure is close.
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

nsdtk

Thanks for the info
I bet they didnt change the numbers   ;D

southern2716

I believe that one of the 44 tonners was scrapped at TVRM in the late 70's/early 80's.

AD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk