Even deeper into the archives

Started by E.M. Bell, July 14, 2007, 11:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

I have had a stack of ZIP disks setting around for almost 10 years now..you remember those dont you??  My zip drive had long since expired, and I had NO idea what was on most of those Our resident computer historian, Dr. Shack, recently came into possession of a operable Zip Drive, and offered to archive all of my stuff over to todays storage medium of choice.. Last night, after spending countless hours doing the calculations, building the interfaces and running miles of wires we manged to pull off over 600 images from these ancient disk just after midnight. .  It was fun looking back through this stuff that I had not seen in years...the only comment from Dr Shack, upon seeing a pic of me in my standard issue Bib Overalls and Kromer cap at the throtlle about 10 years ago was "man, you where fat back then'....thanks ol pal, Things dont change much....

Most of the stuff was scans of slides, and a lot of stuff I had on my first website, back in the day.  Here is a sample, and I will be glad to post more if yall care to see.

The Lawrenceburg KY depot around 1988. Check out that fresh paint...I remember they had spruced the place up for a BoD special that had run that year.

I cant remember what year this was. L&N 152 makes a cab hop to Danville for some excursions. NS leased the 152 from KRM for a few months for excursion duty.  That Bart Simpson hyrail and the motor car are just about as priceless as the engine.

And the not so distant past. A N&W SD40 leads a hopper train past the Horton Summit Free will Baptist church at Horton Summit VA, on the Appy District.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Michael Knight

Joe Vittitoe

That was May 1987 when they ran the 152 south on the NS.Saturday 5/16
it was run to Stearns where passengers returned north behind the 611.
The 152 continued south to North Carolina for some excursions down there.
L&N 152 looked sort of strange with that NS logo under its cab window.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk