Kind of Cool-1973 at Andover

Started by Ponce de Leon, February 25, 2013, 12:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponce de Leon

I was scanning some older slides today, and I noticed this one---so I scanned it. This is 1973 at Andover, VA. The RS-3--Central of Georgia 116--had been sold to Westmoreland Coal Company to be used at the transloader. The unit had just arrived DIT at Andover. The general foreman then, Mr. Valley, cranked her up and got the yard crew to see how she ran. An inbound Yuma Turn was coming in with five units, a radio car, and a handfull of empty Silversides, plus a cab. They went to the lower end of the yard and coupled to the train and pulled it through. I happened to be there, and got a few shots---including this. The RS-3 had about all it could wiggle with, but it pulled the consist all the way to the other end (this was uphill).

Sadly, the 116 didn't last long at the transloader. A fire nearly destroyed the engine, so it was scrapped.
Ron Flanary

Wink638

E.M. Bell

Dont think I have ever seen an Alco looking better than more modern power....I would have loved to have heard that!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Matt L

Destroyed by fire? That's pretty rare for an Alco and a cryin' shame since not many RS3s have survived through the years. I'm with Emmett- that 244 prime mover must've sounded sweeeeeeeet lugging those heavy loads. Chi-CHUG... Chi-CHUG... Chi-CHUG...
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Trainman24210

Dang Ron, you've been around a long time!

thpbears

What ever happened to the Westmoreland engines I use to see a Appalachia when I was young? I guess by now they have been scraped.

Ponce de Leon

Quote from: thpbears on February 26, 2013, 06:21:46 PM
What ever happened to the Westmoreland engines I use to see a Appalachia when I was young? I guess by now they have been scraped.

They were shipped out of here not long after Westmoreland shut down the transloader (summer of 1995).
Ron Flanary

Ponce de Leon

Quote from: Matt L on February 25, 2013, 07:46:46 PM
Destroyed by fire? That's pretty rare for an Alco and a cryin' shame since not many RS3s have survived through the years. I'm with Emmett- that 244 prime mover must've sounded sweeeeeeeet lugging those heavy loads. Chi-CHUG... Chi-CHUG... Chi-CHUG...

I seem to recall vandalism was a factor in the fire.
Ron Flanary

Ponce de Leon

Quote from: Trainman24210 on February 25, 2013, 08:57:08 PM
Dang Ron, you've been around a long time!

You got that right! I'm so old my rectum is now cutting new teeth.
Ron Flanary

thpbears

Thanks for the update Ron. The place has sure changed since Westmoreland went away even Kingsport has went down as a result.

Ponce de Leon

I don't think people have any idea how bad it is these days. Where there were 8 to 10 CSX movements via the connecting track at Big Stone Gap (to and from Frisco, via NS) just a few years ago, consider that just a couple of weeks back, three days went by without one single CSX train! This is the worst time for rail traffic here since the lines were first built around 1890-91. And, I don't see it getting much better any time soon.

If you didn't experience the Appalachia District in years past, you might be looking at a pair of rusty rails if you come this way now.
Ron Flanary

csx6900

Quote from: Ponce de Leon on February 27, 2013, 08:34:04 PM
I don't think people have any idea how bad it is these days... If you didn't experience the Appalachia District in years past, you might be looking at a pair of rusty rails if you come this way now.

Oh, I sure did find that out first hand last summer!  Two friends and I went out to the Kingsport/Big Stone Gap/Frisco area and saw two CSX trains when we reached Frisco (about 8 AM).  After that, it was DEAD.  Literally not a thing moving for miles around.  We stayed a few hours, then with nothing on the radar, we finally made a bee line to Corbin to catch the end of a curfew on the CSX KD Sub.  It was easily 4 PM before we saw our next train.  Surely the biggest waste of gas ever.  It's a shame too, because there were a ton of scenic locations out there to shoot at... just no trains to shoot!

-Evan
Owner and Administrator of RailSightings.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk