Central of Georgia 201

Started by etalcos, December 29, 2012, 11:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etalcos

From the SARM Facebook page earlier ;)

We have a couple of really exciting things going on with our equipment collection that relate to the Central of Georgia Railroad. The one that I can report tonight is that Central of Georgia SD-7 201 will be joining the collection in Oak Ridge and is currently on the move. The 201, later Southern 197 was the Central's first and Southern's oldest 6 axle EMD. Most recently she has been at the Virginia Museum of Transportation in Roanoke, Virginia.

Additional non facebook comments:

The 201 joins a sizeable pool of CofGa passenger equipment that includes coaches 663, 664 "Fort Oglethorpe", and 665 "Fort McPhereson".  Unfortunately 201 is inoperable and suffers from considerable neglect.  At least three traction motors disappeared while it was stored in the yard in Roanoke and it appears it will need some engine work for a missing power assembly.  While SARM has no restoration plans for this piece at the moment (other projects are in process), I think it was a good "get" for the collection. 

An interesting side note is that the unit was built with a steam trainline so it could go in consist on passenger trains if needed.  It never had a boiler that we could determine so it would have been merely some extra muscle.  You can also open up the compartments under the floor and find remnants of the CofGa blue.

ETA

srman

That is fantastic news! Although no immediate plans for restoration have been made I'm glad it's going to a good home. I always thought that it was a little out of its natural enviroment sitting there in the N&W's old backyard. Although I never saw it running the first time that I layed eyes on it was in April 1989 sitting in the dead line in Chattanooga and the last time this past July in Roanoke. Time had definitely taken a toll on the old girl.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk