Ghost on the RIP track

Started by E.M. Bell, November 20, 2012, 06:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

You never know what you will find in the piney woods of Georgia.

CofG X17, shoved out back on the RIP track at Layfette GA 10/27/12

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

NSMoWandS

That is true EM! Up here in the Mid Atlantic... if you follow the Maryland Midland line... you find all sorts of Western Maryland stuff! Good looking out! Dan

LC43

Central of Georgia caboose on the ex Central of Georgia mainline between Griffin and Chattanooga.

Ponce de Leon

WOW! Now that is a major find! That particular paint job would have to go back to the early '60s--about 50 years. It still looks very fresh, however.
Ron Flanary

etalcos

Looks a little like one of the old S&A cabooses.  And I'm thinking it has been repainted into this scheme from a SOUTHERN schem it last wore.  I bet it ran in your neighborhood back when Ron?  I don't know a whole lot about CofG proper cabooses, but I can't find a photo of an all steel CofG coupola, they look to be pretty much a wood caboose operation.

Ponce de Leon

Quote from: etalcos on November 30, 2012, 10:23:56 PM
Looks a little like one of the old S&A cabooses.  And I'm thinking it has been repainted into this scheme from a SOUTHERN schem it last wore.  I bet it ran in your neighborhood back when Ron?  I don't know a whole lot about CofG proper cabooses, but I can't find a photo of an all steel CofG coupola, they look to be pretty much a wood caboose operation.

Good point. It looks like one of those "Northeastern" cabs like the Savannah & Atlanta owned. Yes, they were pretty common in Andover, replacing the wooden Interstate cabs.

I did see a few CofG cabs in the late '60s---including this wooden cupola model at Andover in early 1968:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=272698&nseq=21
Ron Flanary

Ponce de Leon

I meant to post this as well. This is obviously a Southern Railway steel bay window caboose...but it was lettered for the CofG when I took this photo in 1968. Anyone know how that happened? (I don't...)

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=310764&nseq=24
Ron Flanary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk