Give the 6913 a shove

Started by GP30Rider, August 11, 2012, 11:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GP30Rider

As many of you may know the Southern Appalachia Railway Museum in Oak Ridge is the owner of former Southern Railway E-8 #6913.  The time has come for museum members to begin an extensive restoration project on this locomotive, but we are going to need some help.  For those not familiar with the economics of running an excursion train, ticket sales never generate enough revenue to keep the trains rolling and restore additional equipment at the same time.  Hence the reason all historical groups need grants, donations, and fund raisers to make things happen.  This will be the largest restoration project SARM has ever embarked on and we are going to need tons of financial support to accomplish our goal.  Toward that end we a trying a little different type of fundraiser.  For the last 8 months a local artist and I have been working on SOUTHERN ROYALTY.  I have been providing the technical advice for this painting and my friend has been doing the artistic work.  I can paint a house and that's about it.  I guess I am a little biased but I think we have produced a dandy piece of artwork that will stand out in any room.  

SOUTHERN ROYALTY depicts the 6913 pulling the Royal Palm less than a year before the train was discontinued.  Just about everyone on the board will instantly recognize the location as Nemo.  The painting went to print this past week and we hand the unique honor of unveiling SOUTHERN ROYALTY in the rotunda of Cincinnati Union Terminal today.  Prints are now available for sale but this will be a limited run.  Once they are gone, they will not be reproduced again.  A photo of the painting as well as the particulars on how to order are posted on the SARM home page.  You can find it at.......

www.southernappalachia.railway.museum  

This is a great item for everyone from the most serious fan of the Southern Railway to the casual train enthusiast.  I thought Nemo would make a great setting since so many of us can say "I've been there".  I promise that your computer monitor does not do this print justice.  We can ship these anywhere in the country.  A sell out would go a very long way toward putting 6913 back on the road so tell your friends and fellow railfans.  We appreciate any help the JREB membership can give.

E.M. Bell

A great painting, and a very worthy cause!

I would encourage everyone to take advantage of this and help the museum out if you can. They are a great group of folks with a lot of historic (and just plain cool) equipment. 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk