Main Menu

E-8

Started by etalcos, July 14, 2012, 12:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

etalcos

This might belong in the heads up category, but it looks like there is about to be an E-8 out and about.  Unfortunately its not ours.  I'm thinking the Piedmont and Virginia divisions might be a good place to be over the next week or so...

blacksheep

wish i could get over that way. those E's were cool.

etalcos

etalcos

In addition to the 6900 being in Roanoke, I understand that VMT's Wabash E-8 has been moved from the "field of dreams" and into the shop.  If this is going where I think it might be going....

Batman

maybe NS will make it look like new again.    Some NS guys came and checked out
the E-8 at TVRM last week.    dont know why.

etalcos

Quote from: Batman on July 22, 2012, 11:55:47 AM

maybe NS will make it look like new again.    Some NS guys came and checked out
the E-8 at TVRM last week.    dont know why.

My money is on that they liked what they saw.  The folks ya'll have working on it seem to be pretty particular and what I've seen looked real nice.

I understand 1009's historical importance, but that old girl was pretty beat, and I'm sure she didn't fare well in the flood back when.

blacksheep

a few years ago i saw a e unit in nashville painted in NYC colors. maybe we need to rent spencers roundhouse and have another party. let's call the folks that have the pennsy units too.

WSSHPTD

To add an update to this thread we were in Roanoke today(7/29/12) and spotted the 6900 sitting around the turntable at Shaffers Crossing and both the Wabash and RF&P E8`s sitting inside the gate at East End Shops.

Michael

blacksheep

gotta be something goin on. come on, someone leak somethin

JHood4501

How did the Wabash 1009 go to such bad shape? Older photos show it in good shape at the old VMT location.
Jordan Hood

Batman

it was taken apart and abandoned 30 years ago.  30 years of rain/snow/heat/humidity.

E.M. Bell

I wasn't going to say anything as I know how folks get riled up about this stuff, but...

NS acquired the E-units in a trade with the museum They are quickly running out of "frame fodder" for gensets and all of the other "Green Machines" the tree huggers love. After the stunning success of NS 999 (The battery powered switcher in Altoona), NS figured that they would strip those E-units down and convert them to battery power for use in hump yards. Those big EMD covered wagon car bodies will hold a LOT of batteries..

In return, the museum got enough cash to install massive solar panels on top of the 611, which will boil the water in a much cleaner and economical feasible manner. The EPA wins because there will be no coal smoke, and the railfans win because it can only be ran on sunny days...no more getting your steam shots screwed by the clouds!

There will be a large "unveiling party" in Roanoke on April 1st, 2013.  
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Badhorse79

April 1st huh.... damn ill be getting my unicorns cleaned that day ... looks like ill miss another huge event ...."blast it"

blacksheep

i thought i was haveing a stroke. however, that was a good one.

etalcos

All I need to know is where to back the truck up to when they start "gutting" them, and who gets the check.....

GP30Rider

I'll have some of whatever Mr. Bell is smokin'.  Make it a double. 

blacksheep

Quote from: GP30Rider on July 31, 2012, 10:42:53 PM
I'll have some of whatever Mr. Bell is smokin'.  Make it a double.  
that might not be good stuff he's got. if he was seein folks turn E8's into what he's talkin about i'd call that a bad trip. and a solar powered 611? i'd wake up screamin!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk