Sarah Purdie

Started by Ponce de Leon, February 27, 2012, 08:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponce de Leon

I'm sure many of the older heads who followed the steam program (at least when it was "Southern") remember Sarah Purdie, the effervescent spouse of the late Bill Purdie. While deleting some stuff in an old laptop computer of mine today, I saw this image. This is May 1982, and the photo was taken by my friend, David DeVault. The 2716 is down on her knees and has just crossed "Bootleg" trestle on the Appalachia Division. The guy doing the firing is Paul Brock, and the smiling (and soot-stained) face behind her belongs to yours truly. I see I was wearing a cap with the old "SR" herald of the Southern with a red arrow through it.

Mrs. Purdie was right at home in the cab of the big 2-8-4. I recall we stopped at Natural Tunnel for a run-by and she climbed up to ride the rest of the way to Appalachia.

Edit: I intended to add another shot of interest. This one was also taken by David DeVault, but this time it's March 1979. That's yours truly hanging out (at the top) of the vestibule cab on Hudson 2839. The 4-6-4 was a slippery beast, and the 1.7 percent here caused us to stall three or four times. Careful use of the booster eventually got us over the top at Sunbright, but it was certainly touch and go.

These were happy times, and I count myself so fortunate to have been granted opportunities such as this.
Ron Flanary

GP30Rider

The 2716 was one of only a few Southern excursion locomotives that I never saw in person....at least not in it's Southern livery.  Meaning no disrepsect to it's C&O heritage, I thought it was the sharpest looking locomotive that Southern or Norfolk Southern put on the point of an excursion.  I will always regret not getting to see it in person.   

Ponce de Leon

Quote from: GP30Rider on February 27, 2012, 09:13:37 PM
The 2716 was one of only a few Southern excursion locomotives that I never saw in person....at least not in it's Southern livery.  Meaning no disrepsect to it's C&O heritage, I thought it was the sharpest looking locomotive that Southern or Norfolk Southern put on the point of an excursion.  I will always regret not getting to see it in person.   

Well...she was a "beaut" in Southern paint. Of course I don't have deep C&O passions, so I never did feel a sense of sacrilege that long-time steam fans of the Chessie's Road might have felt.
Ron Flanary

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

I go see it every time I'm in the new haven area, most gorgeous and powerful looking steamer I've ever been around. She doesn't look near as snazzy these days, but if that old girl could talk.......
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

fireball451

Was a real shame that 2716's career on NS wasn't longer.
It would have been nice if she was able to stay in steam until the end instead of sitting in the shops cold.
She has to be one of the classiest looking engines of all time (in Southern dress of course!)....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk