shop switcher

Started by Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR, February 01, 2012, 07:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

I have been wondering if the 1002 was the last sw1 active on NS. I was always under the impression it was, but a close friend and coworker of mine said that a shop swicher from maybe the Virginia area could have been also.  Jon said it was the 210? and possibly of NKP heritage. I'm sure it's long gone now but what's the scoop on that critter?
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

NSDash9

The 1002 was the last active SW1 on NS. It was officially retired in 06/2008, but had been leased to RJ Corman since July 2005.

The other SW1 you are referring to was NS 2105 (former NKP 105), which was used as the shop switcher in Roanoke for years.  But it was retired in 12/1996 and was sold to C&F Locomotive Services in 04/1998.

Chris
Chris R. Toth

E.M. Bell

Adam, you might enjoy this. It took me a few days to find them, but I knew I had seen the 2105 before...to be exact, 24 years ago!

While the 1002 and 1007 where the regulars on the LL branch, I can remember that "funny looking" switcher being in town a couple of times, when the other engines where down for shop work I suppose.

Here it is tied up on the tobacco track behind the Lawrenceburg, KY depot in March of 1988. Anyone know what was up with that rather odd exhaust arrangement? I dont recall ever seeing another Southern, N&W or NS engine when anything like this.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

NSDash9

The exhaust stack was modified to keep the exhaust outside when it was being used to move locomotives into the shop at Shaffers Crossing in Roanoke.

Chris
Chris R. Toth

What a awesome couple shots Emmett, you're killing me  :D I personally didn't catch that one here that time, but I had heard it had that fancy exhaust setup. What a critter.
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

E.M. Bell

I had totally forget I even had those shots, until I saw this thread. That unit seems to perhaps be one of the least photographed engines...or at least I haven't seen many shots of it anywhere.

I really need to start digging back and scanning.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Hmmmmm....24 years ago, maybe that was during roller bearings installation on the 02-07?

E.M. Bell

It probably was Adam. It was around that time frame when that work was done.  The 2105 still has friction bearings in that shot, if you noticed.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Batman

here is 2105 at shaffers xing AUG 1993.

E.M. Bell

1993 and still riding on AAR trucks with solid bearings...good pic!

Here is so NS loco trivia, what does the big white line on the side of the cab mean...and its not to show where the bottom of the cab floor is..BM and Chris know this I am sure...
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Batman

the 2405 is the only switcher w/o the white line

No alignment control drawbars due to no dynamic?

E.M. Bell

Correct, although I dont know about the due to no DB part.

I think NS was the only RR to physicly mark engines without alignment control draft gear..or at least the only that I have ever paid attention to.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Well that was kinda how they explained that to us when we sold our fleet of gp10's and bought all the 40's & 38's. The new engines had db and the few old one's left didn't have, so we couldn't use db with an old gp10 in the consist unless it had alignment control blocks added. I guess engines without db weren't designed to control the buff force created during dynamic braking, that's how they put it. I remember this because it was one of the only statements they have ever said that made sense  8)

Batman

the white underline under the road number was carried over from the NW.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk