Vintage EMDs in upstate NY

Started by Matt L, December 01, 2011, 08:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

Just as I can find great old Alcos and GEs from NS predecessors in upstate NY, I've been able chase some venerable EMDs as well.

For example, I spent a nice afternoon with the Rochester & Southern GP9 #879. She apparently built as N&W #879 in 1959 and has kept that same number throughout her existence.

Photo taken by me Saturday 10/1/2011. Her nose may have been chopped when she was rebuilt nearly 10 years ago.

Locomotive information courtesy of: http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/GW/RSpage.html

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The R&S is part of the GWI family... which uses mostly EMD diesels. A sister shortline, the Buffalo & Pittsburgh, rosters this former N&W GP18. Just as the R&S unit kept the same number throughout her existence, the B&P unit is still 922.

Photo taken by me Friday 9/16/2011 in Buffalo, NY. 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The B&P also rosters a former N&W GP9, #887. Again, she has kept her original number but looks to be part of the same rebuild program as R&S #879.

Photo taken by me Friday 3/25/2011 in Buffalo, NY.

Matt L

Quote from: Matt L on December 01, 2011, 09:05:39 PM
The R&S is part of the GWI family... which uses mostly EMD diesels. A sister shortline, the Buffalo & Pittsburgh, rosters this former N&W GP18. Just as the R&S unit kept the same number throughout her existence, the B&P unit is still 922.

Photo taken by me Friday 9/16/2011 in Buffalo, NY. 

I must sadly report that #922 suffered a fire over the weekend. I am trying to get information regarding the fire, the engine's current status and her future.    :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk