Interstate Intermodal

Started by Ponce de Leon, August 07, 2011, 02:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponce de Leon

This might be of some interest. This is a piggyback load on the Interstate Railroad on November 22, 1980. The train is eastbound on the Norton-Miller Yard line at Flatwoods, VA (just outside Coeburn). By this time, the L&N was using the N&W between Norton and St. Paul to move coal south instead of the IRR, which had been used since 1930 (until 1973). Consequently, there was little need to send a crew to Miller Yard---unless something showed up that was restricted on the N&W Clinch Valley District. And, an intermodal load, as well as that Rail Box behind (which was greater than Plate C, and thus too large for the CV's tight tunnels). This was very rare, by the way.

This line was abandoned not too long after this, and it's now just a weed grown memory.

RF
Ron Flanary

E.M. Bell

Almost makes you wonder just what is in that trailer and Boxcar, that is hot enough to garner a special move like that!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

butch

The last 6 miles of the Interstate down to the river is now a rail trail.  I hiked it last year and it reminded me of the abandoned CNO&TP between Tateville and Greeenwood.
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

Ponce de Leon

Butch,
It's a very nice trail, too---but I've never walked it. However, I did ride it in 1969 aboard four Southern F-units one rainy night. :)

Ron
Ron Flanary

butch

Butch Adkins

Ponce de Leon

Butch,
Thanks for the link to the earlier discussion on this line. By the way, the location at the bottom, where your photo of the CSX (Clinchfield) bridge is shown was known as "Bangor." From there to Miller Yard, the Interstate paralleled the Clinchfield (maybe a mile or so). New hires on the Clinchfield were known to freak out at times if they came barreling along between Miller Yard and Bangor and night and came around the curve to encounter an Interstate crew's headlight on the adjacent track.

The other tunnel is on private property, and it was called Maytown Tunnel. In the photo I posted with this topic, it would be about 1500 feet behind the caboose (but out of the photo).

Standard operating instructions for eastbound tonnage trains called for the crew to stop just beyond the crossing at Flatwoods and turn up all the retainers for the descent to Miller Yard (where they would then be turned back down).

It might not be of anyone else's interest----but I kept a notebook of some of my railroad adventures back then. Here's the notes on that trip to Miller Yard:

"July 22, 1969. The L&N was very busy today, with three sections of #864. I rode the Second Hill Crew tonight to Miller Yard and back. The crew was called for 4:15 PM at Andover. We met Extra 4165 (First Mine Run) at Kent Junction. I saw quite a bit of activity at Norton as we passed through, including some L&N engines there (a GP30, a U28B and an SD35), plus we passed an N&W eastbound at Tacoma. The crew included Willy J. Peters (conductor), Fisher (flagman), R. L. Hunter (brakeman), Carl Harris (fireman) and Earl Hill (engineer). We handled 97 L&N coal loads out of Dorchester Junction. We stopped at Flatwoods in the pouring train while Fisher and Hunter turned up the retainers. Hunter was soaked when he got back to the engine. There were no Clinchfield trains to be seen while we put the train away at Miller Yard and lined up our empties. The power was F-units 4220, 4213, 6171 and 6114. We tied up at Andover at 2 AM."

Sadly, I didn't take my camera on this trip, but most of the run was at night (and in the rain). Still, it was one of those life experiences I'm glad I did. At the time, I was the custodian at Andover, and I had a pass from the superintendent to ride any train on the Appalachia Division, but in the lead locomotive cab only (no cabooses). Fine by me!

Ron
Ron Flanary

lwjabo

Might be best you did not want to rid the caboose. I would guess in them hills and all empties it would be banging around a lot. I never worked mine runs but have worked a few locals at night and in the rain. By the time you get off nothing is dry and it feels like they weight more than 50 lbs. The boots alone might be that heavy. I often carried a couple of flag sticks and turned my boots up side down on the flags next to the heater in my room. They would still be wet when I went back to work. After 6 days of it you are ready for your day off. As Conductor on a local I never road the caboose. The work was next to the engines not 25 cars away. One time leaving Columbus on the old M line they put a SD35 in tow on our train with instructions not to put the SD past the derails. It was hard on some places bet we made it and nothing happened. The M line had nothing bigger than 85 lbs and it was well worn. We put the old SD on line for a few of them hills. Back then they never left and engine dead not even when they would not be moved for 24 or more hours. As the song goes. Those were the Days my friend and we thought they would never end.  Time fly when you are having fun.

butch

Love the history guys.  I tried to check out exploring the Coeburn to St. Paul tunnels and bridges last winter, but most of it looks inaccessible.  I did catch a train at Little Tom Tunnel.
Butch Adkins

Ponce de Leon

Yea....I can't recall all of them, but after Little Tom Tunnel (heading east) there's a fairly long one about three miles further east. Then there's Little Bull, and then Big Bull. All three of those are "hike ins." Finally, there's Craigan Tunnel, which is fairly close to St. Paul (up the hill toward Norton). Again, it's a hike-in.

You can get fairly close to the east portal of Big Bull Tunnel at Virginia City (where the huge new Dominion Power coal-fired power plant is under construction). This is a 1985 shot of three SBD SD50s heading for St. Paul. This shot is taken from the US 58A bridge. The tunnel portal is out of sight, just back around the curve.

Ron
Ron Flanary

butch

Ron, I know the bridge where you took the shot-very nice by the way.  I thought about dropping down there for a little hike, but I didn't know how much attention I'd draw.
Butch Adkins

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk