From the Archives..EMD goodies from 06

Started by E.M. Bell, August 07, 2011, 02:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

I didnt go digging to far back in the archives for these, but I think they are worthy for a vintage Sunday...if you consider 2006 "Vintage"

February 16th, 2006, EMD #76, one of the SD70M-2 demo units, is seen at the top of the grade at Kings Mountain, KY.  The big 70 has just brought a tonnage train up the steep hill in a snow squall unassisted. Both of the other motors had died dead around Southfork, and after much deliberation between the train crew and dispatcher, it was decided to try to make it. I remember that conversation on the radio well, and the engineer saying "you give me the light, and I will get this train up the mountain". It took about 45 minutes to get over the top, and the sound was awesome. We stood there in the snow flabbergasted at what we just saw...EMD at its finest!

April 1st, 2006. A Long hood forward SD40-2 leads a work train North at Southfork KY. Everything in this shot just screams SOUTHERN, from the classic blow board to the signals (if you overlook the ex N&W engine in NS paint that is)

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Ponce de Leon

Based on the performance of that blue and yellow EMD demo at Kings Mountain, this kind of reaffirms your love for all things from LaGrange or London. Very nice stuff!

RF
Ron Flanary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk