Town of Dickinson has plan for trains holding neighborhood 'hostage'

Started by NS Newsfeed, October 05, 2015, 05:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NS Newsfeed

Town of Dickinson, N.Y. -- The Town of Dickinson has secured a loan to solve a problem that holds residents in one neighborhood "hostage."

Neighbors say a train idles over their neighborhood-- crossing for hours.

"I don't think the trains are going to go away," said Judy Clark, Town of Dickinson resident. "I think the town needs to work hard to open up a way to get over to Old State Road."

The town announced it secured a $250,000 loan to combat the problem.

The plans are to connect Phelps Street to N. Moeller Street, which would give residents of the Rogers Mountain Way community an escape route. It will also serve as an access road for emergency crews.

"Can we afford it? Let me put it this way-- we can't afford to let this go any longer," said Michael Marinaccio, (R) Town of Dickinson Supervisor.

Marinaccio said the town will begin construction of the 1000 ft. road from Phelps Street to N. Moeller Street immediately. The cost of the project is estimated at $200,000, and the town plans to have the loan paid off within five years.

Senator Charles Schumer (D) called on the railway to support this town, and help alleviate some of the costs.

Canadian Pacific recently sold the railway to Norfolk Southern.

Many residents said they support the town's plan to connect the two streets.

"I don't think it's going to be an inconvenience," said Erika Mason, resident on N. Moeller Street. "I mean, there is maybe ten cars that come up here throughout the day, so I mean what's another ten more?"

Marinaccio said there are only 22 homes in the Rogers Mountain Way community, and this is not enough to really increase traffic or burden those who live on N. Moeller Street.

Other residents disagree.

"I'm guessing it's probably going to double the amount of traffic than what we have now, and it's probably going to attract larger vehicles too," said Susana Stumpe, resident on N. Moeller Street.

Stumpe also argued the real issue is the railroad company should address the problem, not the town. She recommended extending to Nolan Road, rather than to N. Moeller Street.

"We could be saving somebody's life. We could be saving somebody's home," said Marinaccio. "There's no way that you can neglect that. Somebody's life is a heck of a lot more important than a few more cars driving by your house."

If a train currently idles over the Phelps Street crossing, emergency crews would have no access to the residents of Rogers Mountain Way.

The street addition is expected to be completed by the end of this November.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk