SR 630 almost finished, 4501 rebuild has started

Started by E.M. Bell, February 26, 2011, 08:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

In case you have missed the post on a few other groups and TVRM's facebook page, the rebuild on Southern Railway 630 is about to be complete, with wiring, paint and a few other odds's and ends to do. I would speculate they will have her out of the shop making some test runs in Chatt before long.

Also, the 4501 has been put into the TVRM shop, and her rebuild is officially under way! From what I have read, they have started the boiler work, but have not seen any type of time frame for her to back back hot and alive again....now, if NS would just get a schedule out for the trips this year!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

jjohns5182

There was a false rumor on facebook that spread two weeks ago saying 630 had been painted. It was shot down with in 2 hours. But it really is getting hard for me to tell whats rumor and whats true.

jjohns5182

If the update I got on facebook is correct 630 will be painted this weekend!

jjohns5182

Just saw photos of 630 getting lettering I think paint is tomorrow.

jjohns5182

I'm getting a update that its primer coat is being finished. I predict it could be done by Wednesday at the soonest.

lwjabo

I did not think the 630 was ever Southern. From memory it was with one rail and was sold to FEC before it was retired.
Does anyone know what happened to the Sou 2879? Originally a TAG engine with the name John Chamberlis on the side. Every time it was worked on they always replaced that name. It was a GP38 but did not have dynamic brake. It was at Dalton Ga. for years. Finally was so worn out they moved it some place else and was finally retired. I heard Chamberlis was and engineer and I heard he was the President of TAG.

jjohns5182

I just saw pictures of 630 being painted black so my estimation of Wednesday at the earliest is wrong.

jjohns5182

Ptrainman

Wonder how long it will take to get her in action on the mainline.
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

Batman

SR 630 is done , supposed to run on sat 3/19 at TVRM

jjohns5182

Next thing I'll wanna know is when it hits NS mainlines.

E.M. Bell

We got a quick peek and a few pics of the 630 today at the shop, on the way back home from Birmingham The restoration looks awesome, and I cant wait to get back down this summer and shoot when she is running.

Besides a few minor issues, the break in runs went fine on Saturday, and after a little more tinkering, they will be using her on the "local" at the museum in the next few weeks.

Ill put some pics up later...we are just in from a 950 mile, 3 day trip...time to relax a bit!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk