New and a book question

Started by norfolk23, September 29, 2009, 11:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norfolk23

Hi guys,

Technically I'm not "new" since I've been registered for awhile. I just never post.  :D   I have a quick question. I am trying to find some sort of unofficial list of books related to NS either on this website or somewhere else on the internet. There are a few in particular that I'm looking for but can't remember the title as they are all several years old. One was basically a 1995 NS year in review type thing. The other's were locomotive info books. Can't find anything about them anywhere and no author or title to begin a search.  :-\

NS145

The 1995 book was by Scott Lindsey titled "Norfolk Southern 1995 Review".  Withers Publishing has produced most of the NS motive power books out there, including the now out-of-print "Norfolk Southern 1982-1994 Motive Power Review".  They have also published smaller annual "booklets" for NS from 1998 onwards.  Their website is: https://secure.witherspublishing.com:7444/catalog/default.php 

You should be able to find other books on NS on amazon.com or ebay.  I just did a search on amazon and found quite a few books, even some that are now out-of-print.  Good luck!

NW: There's No Stopping Us!

thpbears

There is also Norfolk Southern History by Richard C Borkowski Jr. He is a NS employee and I am reading it now. It has alot of Great pics plus the history is also good as well. I got it on Amazon.com

Danman

The Norfolk Southern Locomotive Directory 2008-2009 by Withers is A good book.
Daniel

Ali Kenneth

As someone who is interested in the NS without ever having seen an NS train books and the internet are my only recourse. However i have found books on NS operations to be very thin on the ground.

All the previously mentioned books are essential reading and i would also recommend reading books about the predecessors of the NS, the Southern, Norfolk & Western and Conrail.  A lot of info relating to these roads is still pertinent today.

If you can only own 1 book i would say go for the Norfolk Southern History by Richard C Borkowski Jr if your interest is the current day. If you are more interested in the recent past then the 1995 review by Scott Lindsey is superb! I just wish someone would publish an updated version!

Alasdair

NS145

If you're interested in the CSX vs. NS culture wars and the infamous Conrail split up, Rush Loving's "The Men Who Loved Trains" is a very good read.  There's also a lot of material on the Penn Central debacle and the Conrail revival.  Much of the story line follows the railroad career of Jim McClellan, who ended up as NS' chief planner/strategist.  Loving dubs him the "Forrest Gump" of railroading, as he always seemed to end up in the center of things.  McClellan's son Michael is now NS' VP for automotive and intermodal traffic. 
NW: There's No Stopping Us!

NSyorktown

Don't know if this type of book is what you are looking for, but I just got it over the past weekend (as a birthday present).

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/503-145483

I've enjoyed reading it . . . . some neat information inside.

RDS

Danman

Diesel of  the Southern Railway 1939-1982 and Norfolk & Western Second Generation Diesels are great books for the NS reader.
Daniel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk