December Issue of TRAINS

Started by NSyorktown, October 28, 2013, 08:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSyorktown

I just got the e-mail, and "teaser" video, about the December '13 issue of TRAINS magazine . . . . and the feature about the Rathole line.

Nice interview with Butch and EM!

Can't wait to read the article, when it is released November 15th.

butch

Thanks, Emmett told me it was up and I finally got a chance to check it out last night-but if you have to make a choice, go with Ron's article over the video.   :)
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

E.M. Bell

I was sure glad Butch got to do most of the talking, that sort of thing is WAY out of my comfort range! We had been out shooting on the CNO&TP  that day with Trains editor Jim Wrinn, and during a stop at Revilo KY he whipped out the video camera and put us on the spot....I sure like being behind the camera a lot more than in front of it!

Yall be sure to check out this issue of trains. Our own Ron Flanery wrote the feature piece about the CNO&TP, and it is one of the best articles on the line I have ever read! Butch put together a very detailed list of all of the tunnels, Carmon scored her first picture being published, and I have a short piece about the searchlight signals and a few pictures in there. Its as close to learning about the CNO&TP and the tunnels as you will ever get without being there yourself!

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

butch

Well, anyone who has hung out with me long knows it doesn't take much to get me talking about the tunnels.  But even if you don't subscribe to Trains, this is a must have article for any Rathole aficionado.  And I'd say that even if I didn't get to help Ron a little on the tunnel backgrounds.
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

chipallen16

I loved it, y'all. Great to see some people I know well so involved in something so cool!

-Chip  :)

bierbass

Crescent

Congrats to Carmon, & E. M......Well done!!

dschlegel

Just finished reading the a article this morning. What an excellent piece! It makes me want to road trip to fan this interesting line for sure. Great job Bell's!
PA Dan

Ponce de Leon

I thought the video was Oscar-worthy. :)

Glad everyone liked the article. It was a lot of work...but worth it.
Ron Flanary

dschlegel

Quote from: Ponce de Leon on November 05, 2013, 08:28:47 PM
I thought the video was Oscar-worthy. :)

Glad everyone liked the article. It was a lot of work...but worth it.

Well thanks for all of the work y'all did! It was neat for me to read it after having read a lot of posts from you guys here on jreb since I've joined. Like I said earlier, I really want to make a road trip to the area someday (after my 4 year old is old enough to go with).
PA Dan

NSyorktown

Just read through the TRAINS article, as it just appeared today on the magazine rack at the local grocery.

WOW!

Super job, Ron and all the photographers associated with the feature.

One example, the informative map on Page #27 would have taken un-told hours (weeks?) to research and verify all the locations and dates.  Outstanding work!

Earlier this calendar year of 2013, I was going to post a question on this forum about "Do you think anything will be published, or an event held, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the 1963 Rathole projects?".

I now have my answer, with this excellent feature.

Truly appreciate everyone's work.

RDS

bogray

Allow me to add my congrats and "thank-you's" to all the contributors for this excellent article. It's very well done, Ron...awesome that Carmon got her first photo published...and Emmett--you did manage a "few" photos...like the COVER!  Well done to all!

I also noticed several photos in the issue by pals and Flickr contacts Steve Glischinski, Ian Hapsias and John Crisanti.  Great work by everyone!

Bo

Matt L

I have the current issue of Trains sitting on my desk- great article and pics.  8)
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

thpbears

Railroad80

Congrats Ron, You hit a grandslam with the trains article....
Randy

Ponce de Leon

Quote from: NSyorktown on November 07, 2013, 11:11:03 AM

Super job, Ron and all the photographers associated with the feature.

One example, the informative map on Page #27 would have taken un-told hours (weeks?) to research and verify all the locations and dates.  Outstanding work!

For sure, it was a pill! I hand drew the maps for the Trains staff to work from, using old USGS quad maps, Butch's notes, material from here and there---you name it. I think we must have gone through ten different reviews of the draft maps. They would send a pdf for proofing, and EM and I would send back a dozen things that weren't right. Each time, though, the "errors" diminished.

A disappointment was the fact the map couldn't have been larger. We had an incredible level of detail to begin with, but there's only so much you can show. As it is, the map is really "busy."

That said---given the constraints of a ten-page feature, I'm happy with the result. Sure, a lot of stuff ended up on the "cutting room floor," but that's the nature of the periodical and print media business. Edit, edit, edit, edit....

Thanks for the nice comments. It was a fun project, and a pleasure to work with EM and Butch (plus, Carm scored a shot!). Now, I've got to get EM to do an article all on his own. He's a bonafide "star" now. :)
Ron Flanary

E.M. Bell

I dont know about that star part there Ron..more like an extra. You wrote it, produced it and pitched it. If not for all of that, I highly doubt any of the rest of it would have been seen!

I am not so sure about writing something myself...Jim gave me a One time pass to submit something in red crayon, and I used that for the sidebar in your article. I wonder if rambling dictation would make the cut??  ;D
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Ponce de Leon

If you commit to paper half the stuff you regularly post to JREB, you're there, already. I think Jim would warm to a submission from you.
Ron Flanary

CAGY 2777

Pretty neat, pretty neat...pretty good, pretty good...awlright.
Proud hater of RailPrics.net & their over inflated ego.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk