Knoxville/Seiver Yard

Started by Hunter33, December 29, 2012, 05:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter33

Is Seiver yard still used? I've heard of a new yard by the zoo where you can sit in the parking lot & watch the trains being humped. But I don't know where that is!! With the thoughts of chasing trains down there, can anyone offer places to go to someone who's never been there before?

florida581

This looks like a job for Evan (csx6900)!  He's very knowledgable regarding the Knoxville area.  To answer your first question, yes.  Sevier Yard is open and quite active.  Road trains 111, 112, 114, 125, 126, 131, 132, 163, 165, 386, 387, 38Q, and 39Q originate / terminate there.  There are also locals to/from Sevier Yard for Middlesboro, Bulls Gap, Alcoa, Loundon, and Greenville as well as numerous yard jobs to area industries.
Andrew

Ns Railfan

Sevier is the only hump yard in the Knoxville area NS uses "city yard" downtown but all that is there now is stored intermodal cars. It is possible to view cars being humped at Sevier without trespassing.

MotoLinz

I cruise Sevier Yard with my kids a couple times a month but haven't heard of a new yard. As it is, Sevier Yard is pretty close to the zoo. There is some kind of nursery supply place (don't remember its name) that is right across Old Rutledge Pike from Sevier Yard, and their parking lot, which is elevated from the road, has relatively decent views of the yard. I have never been on a weekday, but they're closed and the parking lot deserted on Sundays.

MotoLinz

PS - If you're looking for places other than Sevier Yard to watch trains around Knoxville, we have great luck at the diamond (NS and CSX) close to UT. If we hit it right on a Sunday morning, we'll see one after the other. Our usual spot is Anchor Park out in Farragut, in far west Knox County.

Hunter33

How friendly are they around the yard? Not looking to enter the property, just wondering how touchy they are about getting too close.

How would I get to the diamond you speak of, MotoLinz? Sounds like it might be interesting.

MotoLinz

I have never had a problem, but I'm a mom with two kids, so I think we're sometimes viewed as less annoying than the typical male railfan. :) I'm pretty sure 99% of Knoxville's NS employees can recognize my Volvo from three miles away. Also, I don't ever venture near their property. I merely drive by on weekdays or park at the previously mentioned nursery on Sundays. On the same side of the road as the yard, there are a few spots where you can pull over and look down on the trains waiting to depart south. It's all private property (not NS's), but no one has ever given me problems.

Regarding the diamond, it all depends on which direction you're coming from. Basic access is through Tyson Park, near the skate park. Go past the skate park and follow the fence line on the gravel road back past the ball field. It'll open up, and if you're facing the NS track, the diamond is just to the right under the overpass. Can't miss it. Sometimes there are cops and bums (that's probably not a PC term anymore) and other random folks milling about, but, again, never any problems, and that whole area is Knox County park property aside from the railroad easements and whatnot. We have a lot of luck around 10:30-11 on Sunday mornings.

Happy hunting!

MotoLinz

The Gulf & Ohio/Knoxville & Holston River/Whatever RR also runs through Tyson Park. You'll cross it near the skate park.

JtBurKe

Hey Hunter33, I have been working on map guides for the Knoxville area and have a few areas I can suggest to you along with area descriptions.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=216316752192232348525.0004c400712f2a7214974&msa=0&ll=35.9547,-83.951297&spn=0.018481,0.042272
Hope this helps!

AJnCorrie

From my point of view...I've been chased out of the CSX/NS Diamond area...by Knoxville Police...and I wont even mention the times I've been chased outta Sevier Yard...just gotta keep moving about...hard to hit a moving target...
A.J.
Kingston, TN.

MotoLinz

I must benefit from having kids with me, because I've seen KPD under the overpass at the diamond plenty of times and have never warranted anything more than a nod or a wave. Same with Sevier Yard, although I'm never on their property or hanging about. Perhaps you need some car seats and a couple of Cabbage Patch dolls...

gradymck

Quote from: AJnCorrie on January 11, 2013, 11:24:12 PM
From my point of view...I've been chased out of the CSX/NS Diamond area...by Knoxville Police...and I wont even mention the times I've been chased outta Sevier Yard...just gotta keep moving about...hard to hit a moving target...

Well, if you have been on NS property at Sevier...you deserve to be chased out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk