A double dose of Derby trains in the rain on the NS Louisville District.

Started by E.M. Bell, May 07, 2013, 06:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

There are 3 things you can almost always count on to happen during Derby weekend here in Kentucky..It will RAIN, there will be several interesting special passenger trains running on NS, CSX, RJC (and the LIRC to), and something will happen to delay the NS train's outbound run (The NS derby jinx)..

2013 was no exception for most of those, although the "Jinx" seemed to have not reared its ugly head this year. For the first time in probably 20 years, I decided  to say home on Derby day this year and get some work done on a couple of projects that you will hopefully seen published soon. The only thing running would be the CSX Derby train out of Frankfort, and I just could not get myself motivated to get out in the weather just to shoot a pair of blue F40's in the same old places again. Corman did not run a Derby train with his F units this year, so it seemed to be a good decision. If We where going to go out and get our heads wet, it would be for something a bit more classy...  

As per the norm, the NS OCS would deadhead out of Louisville on Sunday Afternoon (05/05/13) after spending the week being used to entertain guest of the RR.  I had learned earlier in the week that we would  get an added bonus as well, with a second passenger train that would follow the OCS East.  While the F units headed back home for Altoona, the specially painted NS 6920 (The Veterans Unit) would be taking the dome car,  diner, exhibit car and research car to Washington DC for display at National Train day.  

The passenger trains would not run until late in the afternoon, but Carmon and I headed out early in the rain  to meet up with Mr. Herndon at Waddy.  We spent the majority of the day working our way West shooting the "regular" trains in the wet weather, and finally found a good place to wait for the Derby trains. NS 956 (the OCS) departed Louisville just after 1400, with 975 (the Vet unit) following less than 25 minutes behind. The rest of the day would be spent with that pair, and thanks to several Westbound trains they had to meet, we where able to get them in several locations. Once again, the cloudy, wet day working out in our favor, allowing us to use a few places that would have otherwise been horribly back-lit had the sun been out..

Below are a few of my favorites of the Derby trains. You can find all of them in much larger size at this link >>>  http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/nsheritage_2013_eb

NS 956, the Outbound Derby train, in the pouring rain near Clarks Station Ky. The 3 F units are giving all they have to give with the train wrapped around a series of nasty reverse curves on a 1.22% grade as they climbed towards Veechdale. Seeing the OCS is always pleasing to the eye, but the sound was even better this time, as I stood in the rain and enjoyed the show a long while after the train was out of sight.

NS 975 comes around the curve at MP 295w with Veterans unit 6920 leading a short 4 car train destined for display at Washington DC for Nation Train Day 2013. This was the second passenger move of the day, running less than 25 minutes behind the outbound Derby train.

With only 3 of the F units available (the other B unit is in the shop at Altoona for electrical work), it was pretty easy to keep up with the train this year. Wet rail and a heavy train had the train down to a crawl in several places. In this view, 956 heads into the siding at West Waddy Ky to meet 375.

956 eases down the siding at Waddy as the rain gets heavier.

956 passes the swollen waters of Lake Wells, near Alton Station Ky.

956 at Vanarsdale Ky late in the evening, followed shortly by the 975.  The light was fading fast, and we decided to let them go after these shots and head for home (and dry clothes)

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk