Catfishin' (6/3/06)

Started by cmherndon, July 10, 2006, 04:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmherndon

It's been a while since the last report hasn't it?  I'm thinking several weeks.  Anyway, I finally got around to working on my photos from the trip on June 3.  On that day, Emmett and I headed out and spent several hours in the Danville area.  Why?  Because it surely beats sitting at the house on a pretty day.

We pulled into the usual spot by the wye to watch and wait.  In an hour, we watch 375, 216, 294, 144, and 174.  About 15-20 minutes after 294 passed us at Shuttleworth, we heard the North End dispatcher answer an emergency tone on the Harrodsburg tower.  We thought it was 294 and they had hit a car at Jackson Pike.  Instead, it was 229 that hit a car at Waveland Rd. near Lexington. It'll be a while before anything moves, so we decide to get some lunch at Krystal because there is no White Castle in Danville.

Greg meets us there, and we bring him up to speed on what's going on.  After consuming pseudo-slyders, chili cheese fries, and chili cheese dogs (followed by "this will end badly") the three of us head back to the yard and catch 223's arrival behind a pair of spartan cab SD70s.  The usual foamer bunch consisting of Dogman and his cohorts is there, but they don't come and talk to us.

223 will be making a setout in Danville, as usual and we head down to Bowen to wait for it.  After about an hour, it leaves Danville, but has to meet two trains at Bowen.  There's farmer on a tractor in the field next to the tracks, and I was lucky enough to catch both that and the train in the same shot.

We also shoot the train at Moreland.  54V is behind them, but a major Charlie Foxtrot was in store for that shot.  At least it was a catfish.  After sitting and waiting for about another hour, we hear 229 on the radio leaving Danville.  The lighting is good, but guess what, it's another catfish.

Hearing 143 also leaving, we head back to Bowen, only to find yet another catfish.  I didn't even shoot it.  We head back to Danville and sit at the yard and watch 133, 23G, 111, and 167 all arrive behind catfish.  After a while, we head up on the bridge and shoot some photos of the yard.  The lighting is actually good at this time of the year for northbounds.

While we're up on the bridge, 264 comes and goes.

It was almost 8:00 by this time, so we all decided to head back to the house and call it a day. Before I end this thing, though, I've decided to start adding the "soundtrack".  In other words, the best and/or most obscure songs that were heard on Sirius.

Soundtrack for June 3, 2006:

"Man in Black" - Johnny Cash
"Rocky Top" - Osborn Brothers
"I Want You to Want Me" - Cheap Trick
"Johnny B. Goode" - Norman Knight
"Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Maj." - Sergei Prkofiev/Evgeni Kissin
"Elusive Butterlfy" - Bob Lynn
"That's All Right" - The Beatles
"Miss You" - The Rolling Stones
"Tainted Love" - Soft Cell
"Walk on Life" - Dire Straits

Until the next time, I hope y'all enjoy and thanks for looking!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk