Derby day adventures

Started by E.M. Bell, May 07, 2006, 08:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

{note..this is not 100% NS related..if your offended by locomotives painted other than Black, turn back now}

Derby day here in Kentucky has become a railfanning tradition for several of us. NS usually runs a train in (deadhead...and after dark this year), plus CSX, Amtrak and R.J. Corman all run specials over the Derby weekend. I had made plans to be off work and have my assistant fill in for me if we had to work on the 6th, but as luck would have it he had to be off sick, and we had to work, so I was down in the dumps about that. (and in my line of work, if there is work to do, it cant be put off...trust me!) ..

Anyway, After figuring out what time I would have to go in, I made plans to shoot the CSX and RJC passenger trains as they left Frankfort in the morning, head t work and get it done, then meet back up with the guys that afternoon. The morning went well, even if the usual shots of the train in Frankfort didnt work out due to a longer than normal consist, but we made up for it on down the line near Shelbyville. Here is a link to the page I put together with the stuff I shot if you care to look... The NS stuff is below..  The derby page can be found at   http://jreb.org/v-web/gallery/derby06

I met back up with Caleb and Gregg at Waddy around 1630, and after grabbing a quick bite to eat, we shot 161 and 224. The rest of the guys had a much more productive day, and I am sure Caleb will have a full report to share.  Click the thumbs below for the big pics.  

NS 161 at Waddy Ky with a elderly C39 leading.

NS 224 takes the siding at East Waddy with a pair of GP60's

And 224 one more time near the West end of the siding.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk